reply to the blog: Should GoTo Become a Deprecated Statement?

Author: ulrichmerkel@web.de (ulrich-merkel)

below the line of stars you will see my comment on a blog entry. I copied it to the "forum" part because this is the only one with a proper tracking on the "what's new" page comments on blogs are not tracked in the what's new page and are hard to see: Traverse the blog, see the comment count is not empty (or you can remeber it was lower the last time), click the bubble, read the comments to his blog entry only, use "previous page" in the browser return to the overall blog display. ************************************************************************************************************************* Hi Eddy, you will find a lot of uniface code outside in production where you find lots of “goto end” to have a common final processing before the proc is left. So let me rephrase your poll to “do you, the uniface coder and his management, have superflouus time and money to rewrite vital parts of your existing codebase without any gain?” In the software industry, you will see “deprecated infos” only to tell the developer there is an enriched way now to do the same job. But the old way is rarely deleted. Because it is only one more line in their parser definiton or a simple delegation; they will never force their customers to modify the existing code from “go_to” to “goto” argumenting the later one is more stylish. Please read some books about the creation of APIs and the fate to keep “old promises”: Finally: the “structured programming” you refer to has died out with the years: too many nested control structures only for structogram sake; it has not got the the “proof of time”. You will not find too many structograms either in nowadays documentations, there are better concepts now. Having deeply nested IFs instead (and each new option will cause another nest level) makes the code completely unreadable, at lest with the currently available support we enjoy from the uniface editor. Have a look at some books on PASCAL with examples which are more than a simple “Hello World” and you will see what I mean. Todays coding paradigms are far away from these, just to mention the “GoF”, design patterns and functional programming, DSL and MDD.

This page has no comments.