$PROC_LOG_FILE wit parameters?

Author: i2stiller@gmx.de (istiller)

Guude Is't there any chance to include some kind of variables into the profiling filename? Something like this: $PROC_LOG_FILE = X:\PATH\profiling_%p.log Background: I want to profile our application in different ways But as the setting for $PROC_LOG_FILE is only present in ASN file, there is no other but * to have multiply ASN-files for each test * or to stop a UnifAce session, rename the output and start the next session Or is ther a hidden UnifAce function to set $PROC_LOG_FILE at runtime? Ingo

12 Comments

1. Hi everyone, Just omit $PROC_LOG_FILE and Uniface will then write the Proc profiling into the message log ($PUTMESS_LOG_FILE). Extracting the info from the log file should not be such a big problem. Wink Hope this helps. Daniel

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)
  2. diseli said Hi everyone, Just omit $PROC_LOG_FILE and Uniface will then write the Proc profiling into the message log ($PUTMESS_LOG_FILE). Extracting the info from the log file should not be such a big problem. Wink Hope this helps. Daniel  

Hi Daniel That's a workaround :-) Question: Alle line of profiling do have in the beginnig a "REC=" Are there other record type then "PROFILING" ? Just to be sure, that I'm reading profiling information, I will chekc also the type Ingo

Author: istiller (i2stiller@gmx.de)
  3. istiller said
    diseli said Hi everyone, Just omit $PROC_LOG_FILE and Uniface will then write the Proc profiling into the message log ($PUTMESS_LOG_FILE). Extracting the info from the log file should not be such a big problem. Wink Hope this helps. Daniel  
    Hi Daniel That's a workaround :-) Question: Alle line of profiling do have in the beginnig a "REC=" Are there other record type then "PROFILING" ? Just to be sure, that I'm reading profiling information, I will chekc also the type Ingo  

Hi Ingo, I'm currently not aware of any other REC-types. If you find one, let me know. Laugh But for Proc profiling only "REC=PROFILING" is relevant. Daniel

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)
  4. istiller said
    gianni said Hi Ingo, I fully support your request, having found same needs and requirements while going to tune a production Uniface application at customer site. We were forced to build different ASN to collect various profiling log files for critical functionalities. Have a look at "UPROFILING analysis" published here into Community Samples; it was built during that tuning activity. Regards, Gianni  
    Hi Gianni I just coded my own tool to explorer the profiling log It's doing it's job but colleagues are complaning: "This is misssing, here a little bit of color, there ... " :-) Ingo  

@Ingo Would you like to share this effort? If yes drop me an email... Gianni

Author: gianni (gianni.sandigliano@unifacesolutions.com)
  5. I thought Jason Huggins had created a profiling tool.... Have you checked github?? Knut

Author: Knut (knut.dybendahl@gmail.com)
  6. gianni said @Ingo Would you like to share this effort? If yes drop me an email... Gianni  

Hi Gianni I'm on "holiday" for on week, so I didn't check the forum often If you give me an email address, I will send you some information :-) (you profile didn't provided any) Ingo

7. Knut said I thought Jason Huggins had created a profiling tool.... Have you checked github?? Knut  

Yes, the need for a license procedure stopped my customer to follow that route. I am giving it a try anyhow... There is also available on the cloud another tool for profiling analysis from CGM; it is limited to 10k rows. I do not remember exactly from where I had downloaded it. Also this second tool require a procedure to be fully unlocked. Gianni

8. I've been using %p for eons and haven't had any issues at all... Of course, from the asn file: C:\temp\trace_%p.txt Knut

9. Knut said I've been using %p for eons and haven't had any issues at all... Of course, from the asn file: C:\temp\trace_%p.txt Knut  

Hi Knut When I use %p like: $PROC_LOG_FILE = X:\path\entw_profiling_%p.log I got this: X:\path\entw_profiling_%p.log StrangeConfused Ingo

10. Oops... my bad. $putmess_logfile file_%p.txt Knut

11. istiller said Guude Is't there any chance to include some kind of variables into the profiling filename? Something like this: $PROC_LOG_FILE = X:\PATH\profiling_%p.log ... 

Hi Ingo, I fully support your request, having found same needs and requirements while going to tune a production Uniface application at customer site. We were forced to build different ASN to collect various profiling log files for critical functionalities. Have a look at "UPROFILING analysis" published here into Community Samples; it was built during that tuning activity. Regards, Gianni

12. gianni said Hi Ingo, I fully support your request, having found same needs and requirements while going to tune a production Uniface application at customer site. We were forced to build different ASN to collect various profiling log files for critical functionalities. Have a look at "UPROFILING analysis" published here into Community Samples; it was built during that tuning activity. Regards, Gianni  

Hi Gianni I just coded my own tool to explorer the profiling log It's doing it's job but colleagues are complaning: "This is misssing, here a little bit of color, there ... " :-) Ingo