LogonSMTP Locking up.

Author: i.sharp@pcisystems.co.uk (Iain Sharp)

We are getting occasions on one customer server, where the userver process is locking up, and on querying it using utoggle, the line in question appears to be LogonSMTP. So the log on to the smtp host (two different hosts) appears to lock up and never time out.  Does anyone know a way of instigating a time out on LogonSMTP? Has anyone had this problem in the past and has a fix for me? This i scausing major issues at this customer. 

1 Comment

1. Generally speaking your first port of call here should be the message frame with $ioprint=64. This may not be practical if it's happening on a server and only intermittently. And it may not give useful information about this specific problem. LogonSMTP() does not have any timeout logic of its own. Basically the connection is made by API calls to socket() and connect() which we all know and love. I believe connect() will time out after a value that is (cq. can be) set in the registry. This may depend on the Windows version, you may want to check here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Author: Chris Breemer (chris.breemer@uniface.com)