[SOLVED] Encrypted asn passwords.

Author: i.sharp@pcisystems.co.uk (Iain Sharp)

From which version does Uniface support asn files encoded using pathscrambler.exe -inFile where the original was  TCP:machine|((user))|((password)) We have a few installs out there on 9.5, and I want to know whether I can encrypt their paths and logicals, or whether they rely on the old style -asn switch.  I've tried searching the help file for pathscrambler but it doesn't show any hits on the whats new sections.  Regards,  Iain

4 Comments

1. Hi Iain, You need at least version 9.7.04 (Service Pack MG03) for this. There's a hint on the page "Uniface 9.7: Documentation Updates for Patches and Service Packs" (see Table 15. Uniface 9.7.04 (MG03): New Functionality Added in Patches Since 9.7.03)

"The Pathscrambler utility has been enhanced to use AES-256 encryption. This can be used not only for path specifications, but also for values of logicals, logon strings for the /log command line switch, or other sensitive information in assignment files." Hope this helps. Regards, Daniel

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)
  2. Okay, the pathscrambler enhancements actually have been added to the version 9.7.03 patch G312.

3. Thanks for that, practical tests had proven it was no good in 9.5 and 9.6, I've gone with the -asn switch for these versions, but this is no good for the logicals section.  We'll just have to push everyone onto the latest version of our software.  Regards,  Iain

Author: Iain Sharp (i.sharp@pcisystems.co.uk)
  4. Iain Sharp said Thanks for that, practical tests had proven it was no good in 9.5 and 9.6, I've gone with the -asn switch for these versions, but this is no good for the logicals section.  We'll just have to push everyone onto the latest version of our software.  Regards,  Iain  

That's correct. The encryption of the [LOGICALS] and other ASN-sections was only introduced with the pathscrambler enhancements in G312. Before the pathscrambler can only obfuscate path specifications. From a point of security it is certainly a good idea to upgrade to the latest version of Uniface 9.7. And I probably don't need to mention that version 9.5 and 9.6 are not supported anymore (for details see the Uniface Support Lifecycle). Regards, Daniel