[SOLVED] Windows XP on Uniface 9.7

Author: marco.aquino@dedalus.eu (Marco)

Running Uniface with runtime 9.7.0.2 on client Windows XP, we receive this application error "Windows XP [WXP] is not supported in this version of Uniface. The message is clear, but the question is ? Is possibile to bypass the error, obviously if will be any problem in the execution is not a Uniface problem.   Best regards Marco

17 Comments

1. The short answer is: No. Sorry. Hope this helps. Best regards, Daniel Iseli Uniface Technical Support

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)
  2. For us this is a Huge problem because our client has many XP client. Uniface 9.6, not support Windows XP, but not block the application. As is Uniface 9.4 not support Windows 10, but not block the application. witch is the limit version running on Win XP without error message ? There is technical problem to eliminate the error message ?   thank you

Author: Marco (marco.aquino@dedalus.eu)
  3. Marco said For us this is a Huge problem because our client has many XP client.

I'm sorry to hear that. But the end of support for XP was announced as far back as 2012 and in April 2014 the below information was posted in this announcement:

"All Uniface maintenance provided after April 2014 will have the Windows XP feature removed. This means that if a patch delivered after April 2014 is installed on Windows XP, Uniface will not start."

Marco said Uniface 9.6, not support Windows XP, but not block the application.

The last Uniface 9.6 version that supported XP was Uniface 9.6.04 plus patch X402. Since version 9.6.05 Windows XP is no longer supported. See also here.

Marco said As is Uniface 9.4 not support Windows 10, but not block the application.

That's not entirely correct. Previous to the version 9.4 patch R114 there was no real Windows version check (and this allows to run Uniface on unsupported platforms). With R114 the Windows version check was introduced and up and patch R130 it's not possible to run Uniface on Windows 10. With patch R131 and higher Uniface works on Windows 10, but this is amere coincidence, since the check (which is not Windows 10 aware) identifies Windows 10 as Windows 8 (which is supported since R131).

Marco said witch is the limit version running on Win XP without error message ?

As mentioned above: Uniface 9.6.04 + X402.

Marco said There is technical problem to eliminate the error message ?

Some details can be found in this blog.

Marco said   thank you  

Hope this helps.

4. We had the same problem. We had 2 runtime clients, one that works on XP and the other one not. Now we have send a new runtime (with U 9.7) and we also stop supporting XP. This also because in the latest version of Uniface supporting XP there is a bug in reading outer/inner entities. And we needed all the clients to be upgraded to the latest version.

Author: Stijn Courtheyn (stijn.courtheyn@xperthis.be)
  5. No matter what tricks/tips you find and might get Uniface 9.7 or 9.6 to run in XP, I'd advise not to do it, or at least thoroughly test your applications an if OK, make sure the environment is really locked down tight with no changes made. Common OS libraries that get updated by IE or MS Office could cause issues. 

Author: Adrian Gosbell (adrian.gosbell@synapse-i.jp)
  6. So, the "technology independence" is not so independent?Confused I am conscious about that Microsoft itself has abandoned support for Windows XP years ago, however, in reality, it is unfortunately still used... I'm new about Uniface's world so, please, don't take me as a troll....Laugh Claudio

Author: Claudio (claudio.palladini@cortislentini.it)
  7. Claudio said So, the "technology independence" is not so independent?Confused I am conscious about that Microsoft itself has abandoned support for Windows XP years ago, however, in reality, it is unfortunately still used...

Client Server technology independence?  I think the days of OS/2, Motif, etc are well gone.  In the old Uniface 5 days, we had the need to be technology independent so that it was possible to move Uniface apps from the different client operating systems/GUIs. So we had Uniface implementations of widgets which had the same UX on each client platform.  Over the years I've had more than enough conversations with customers asking for the Client Server layer to have a Windows UX.  Over a number of releases we have had serval C/S projects and used more native MS techniques, tapped into MS supplied libraries and so forth.  From memory.. Uniface 8.4 started this, and since then we've had Uniface 9.6, the 64 bit Windows project and Uniface 9.7 all being significant C/S projects. As a result, we are dependent on MS and what they do with their libraries. 

8. This is a problem, we have many users still working with xp, and for what it is possible that we have to postpone the move to U9.7 but limit ourselves to u9.6

Author: TheAleph (mail@gandg.it)
  9. TheAleph said This is a problem, we have many users still working with xp, and for what it is possible that we have to postpone the move to U9.7 but limit ourselves to u9.6  

Gotcha, my company have this problem. At now we MUST develop with 9.6 and COPY all modifications to 9.7. So, we must roll out two versions of the same software.

Author: Claudio (claudio.palladini@cortislentini.it)
  10. Claudio said At now we MUST develop with 9.6 and COPY all modifications to 9.7.

My question: is possible to have a common repository (also with some entity redirect via asn)? This way I can change / create a single source and then compile it with 2 runtime (9.4 and 9.7) and have 2 versions of the product itself? Marco

Author: Marco (marco.aquino@dedalus.eu)
  11. There is a UWXP_EXT license feature (Extended WXP support) to unlock this.

Author: dleveque (david.leveque@vision4health.be)
  12. dleveque said There is a UWXP_EXT license feature (Extended WXP support) to unlock this.  

I don't know if this works with Uniface 9.7, but if it does, it's by luck.  (this feature was for Uniface 9.6).  We had issues with our old QArun tests (XP dependent) with Uniface 9.7.  The whole Windows XP thing is like a house of cards, touch the wrong thing and it will all fall down. Be very careful about testing and locking down environments. 

13. dleveque said There is a UWXP_EXT license feature (Extended WXP support) to unlock this.  

This specific license feature is only available on request. Please contact your account manager for details.

14. We have the UWXP License in our License File, but I can confirm that the Runtime does not start on Uniface 9.7 on XP (or MS Server 2003). I'd like to add that we don't have that much of a problem with migrating to a newer version (9.6.04 X402S -> 9.7.02 G202) as we tell our customers that we don't support XP anymore since Microsoft and our Runtime (which is depended on MS) does not support it anymore. But as a tradeoff they get MSSQL 2014 and Windows 10 support Cool In some cases I can see the need for sticking to XP. For example in production environments, where you can't just upgrade your OS because there are maybe hardware dependencies and there are no drivers for newer OSs available.   @Adrian: We saw one of our clients running UF 9.6.4 X402S on Windows 10 o.O - That should not be possible, right? @Daniel: Is there a difference between UWXP and UWXP_EXT ?

Author: Daniel_Kurz (kurzster@gmail.com)
  15. Daniel_Kurz said @Adrian: We saw one of our clients running UF 9.6.4 X402S on Windows 10 o.O - That should not be possible, right?

It actually is. The correct check for Windows 10 was only introduced with Uniface 9.6.08 (patch MX07). Prior to version 9.6.08 Uniface identifies Windows 10 as Windows 8 (and that is supported by Uniface 9.6.04).

Daniel_Kurz said @Daniel: Is there a difference between UWXP and UWXP_EXT ?  

Yes, these are two different license features. And UWXP_EXT is not covered by UW32 or UWALL (like e.g. UWXP).

16. The solution for XP is Uniface Anywhere, right ?

Author: TheAleph (mail@gandg.it)
  17. TheAleph said The solution for XP is Uniface Anywhere, right ?  

That indeed is a possibility. The Uniface Anywhere version 5 Client is still supported on Windows XP.