[SOLVED] UPOPMAIL - Listing Mails

Author: alexander.loosen@gmx.de (Gerri)

Hey everybody, im currently trying to retrieve Mails from a POP3 server via the LogonMail() and ListMail() operations. Problem I'm having is that this will only list the mails in my inbox. All the mails from other folders (i.e. sent, deleted, etc.) are completely ignored. Is there any way of listing mails from a specific folder on the account I'm logging into? Thanks in advanceSmile

4 Comments

1. Hello, I'm afraid that the ListMail/ListMailX operation of the UPOPMAIL component only allows you to retrieve the emails from the inbox of the POP3 server. In case you would like to retrieve mails from other folders then you need to look for a 3rd party solution. If you have Microsoft Office Outlook installed on your system then you should be able to do this. You then could use the Uniface COM connector to call-out to Outlook and read the mails from the desired folders of the POP3 server. I currently don't have a ready-made sample for this, but in case you are not familiar with the COM connector then you could have a look at the community sample "Call-Out to Microsoft Word Using COM". This should give you good starting point for this topic. Hope this helps. Daniel

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)
  2. I did a quick search on the Internet and we are actually not dealing with a limitation in UPOPMAIL here, but this is something that is not supported by POP3. For details see RFC 1939 regarding the POP3 protocol and the commands it can issue:

"8. Scaling and Operational Considerations

[...] Of course the other capabilities of IMAP, such as polling an existing connection for newly arrived messages and supporting multiple folders on the server, are not present in POP3." But in short: you need to look for a 3rd party solution in case you want to access multiple folders on a mail server (that is using IMAP). Hope this helps. Daniel

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)
  3. Thanks Daniel, at least you've saved me a lot of time, trying to do this by using Uniface itself.Smile

Author: Gerri (alexander.loosen@gmx.de)
  4. If you are using an exchange server, then the exchange web services are a possibility, although I had no success talking to them directly from Uniface, I was able to write a com interface in visual studio to expose the methods to Uniface.  I have so far only integrated calendar entries, but I plan on working on mail entries soon.    Iain

Author: Iain Sharp (i.sharp@pcisystems.co.uk)