use environment variable in [FILES] section of Assignment file

Author: knut.ivar.alvestad@logica.com (knutia)

Hi In the help page of [FILES] in Uniface 9.4.01 help doc the argument talks abote : $Path—name of a network path, a user-defined path that redirects to a network path, or an environment variable that redirects to a physical path. The path can be to a ZIP archive. Whit this in mind I set out to set my location of frms by using an environment variable on my windows pc. i set the environment variable "myfrm=c:\myprog\frm" and added "*.frm = myfrm\*.frm" to my Assignment file. When i try to create frm it reports "Error on creation form/application file myfrm\'name of a file'" in the log. Changing it to "*.frm = $myfrm:\*.frm" or "*.frm = myfrm:\*.frm" makes no difference to the error message. Setting "*.frm = $myfrm:*.frm" or "*.frm = myfrm:*.frm" only makes a $myfrm or a myfrm file in the startup Directory. What is the syntax to use? Is it even possible?

7 Comments

1. Hi knut, it's a bit complicate because it looks in the helpfile "environment variables" can be defined in the ini file. perhaps assigning the variable followed by a colon may work for you. *.frm = myfrm:*.frm HIH, Uli

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)
  2. Hi Sorry that diden't work. added "myfrm=c:\myprog\frm" to usys.ini in common and uniface adm + to my personal ini file i use for startup. no errors in logg just a "myfrm" file whit 0 kb in the startup Directory

Author: knutia (knut.ivar.alvestad@logica.com)
  3. so perhaps you contact your local CPWR sales person for help or open a call to clear this situation. Another option is the new helpfile feedback routine at the bottom of the help page in question. This will send a message to very kind people doing their best to improve the help documentation.

4. Hi To anyone else who sees this problem, the variables need to start whit usys. Variable "usysmyfrm" in any ini file or as a windows (probably also linux) environment variable can be used in the [FILES] section of Assignment file by using "*.frm = usysmyfrm:\*.frm".

Author: knutia (knut.ivar.alvestad@logica.com)
  5. GREAT! Thanks for sharing i added a feedback on the help pages of 9.5 and 9.6 so your hints may be added to the helpfile.

6. Hi Knut (and Uli), The environment variable name must start with a dollar sign ($) (which is why the syntax is $Path, not Path) 1. Create an environment variable $myfrm and give it the "c:\myprog\frm" 2. Add "*.frm = $myfrm\*.frm" to the assignment file This works for me. Adding USYS to the name works for a different reason. In this case you are defining a USYS path logical. For more info, see the topic "USYS Path Logicals" in the Uniface Library. Regards --- B.

Author: Barbara Douma (barbara.douma@uniface.com)
  7. Hi Barbara, thanks for this very complete description what needs to be done. I will add this to my development environment design to make it even more flexible Nice holidays, Uli