[SOLVED] Alert Message: Uniface patches R121 and E102: Changing Trigger code of Model Field will create Entity with no name

Author: daniel.iseli@uniface.com (diseli)

From Frontline:

Alert message:

Uniface patches R121 and E102: Changing Trigger code of Model Field will create Entity with no name

Uniface patches R121 and E102 contain a problem that may cause corruption of Model definitions and should not be used for editing the model. For this reason the patches are no longer available for download.

More details can be found in the article bellow.

Frontline article:

Uniface patches R121 and E102: Changing Trigger code of Model Field will create Entity with no name

When the Trigger code of a modeled field is changed then this will create an Entity with no name in the current Model.

Consider the following scenario:

1. Open an existing model : MOD1
  2. Open an entity ENT1 from MOD1
  3. Open the field FLD1 from ENT1
  4. Update a trigger from field FLD1 and save the changes.
  5. The user returns again to the Define Entity screen

The user will now see an entity without a name.

Warning: Do not try to delete the invalid entity record from within the Development Environment (UDE) using either the Define Entity or Global Updates screen (menu item Go To > Administration > Global Actions). In the worst case all fields and entities belonging to the model with the invalid entity record will be deleted (for example when the repository is stored in a Microsoft SQL Server or Solid database).

Workaround:

Caution: The following information involves manipulating the Uniface Repository outside the Development Environment (UDE). Carrying out operations other than those described here may cause data corruption, possibly rendering your Uniface Repository unusable. Please use extreme caution any time you manipulate the Uniface Repository outside the UDE. Make sure you create a backup of the Repository data before carrying out the described operations .

Delete the invalid entity record(s) from the SQL Workbench (or a SQL Editor of your choice), by deleting the rows in UCTABLE where the field U_TLAB is empty. For example:

• delete from uctable where u_tlab=''

4 Comments

1. Hi daniel, now it starts to become really confusing:

on frontline, I could not find the information

Uniface patches R121 and E102 contain a problem that may cause corruption of Model definitions and should not be used for editing the model. For this reason the patches are no longer available for download.

When I look at the information I got selecting "My Product" uniface, I learn:

24-Jan-2012: A new Technical Alert is available: Uniface patches R121 and E102: Changing Trigger code of Model Field will create Entity with no name

20-Jan-2012: Uniface Patches R121 for Uniface version 9.4.01 and E102 for Uniface version 9.5.01 are re-released.
    <snip>

16-Jan-2012: A new Technical Alert is available: Uniface Patches R121 for Uniface version 9.4.01 and E102 for Uniface version 9.5.01 are withdrawn.

The Alert 24-Jan-2012 says nothing about a withdrawl of the patches, so where lies "the truth" on that?

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)
  2. I'm not the author of the Alert. I was only asked to publish the information here on Uniface.info.

But the information about the withdrawal of the patches is unfortunately only mentioned in the Technical Alert Notification that has been sent by email.

And you receive the Alert Notification only when you have activated the subscription for Technical Alert Notifications. For details see on Frontline the Technical Alert Policy:

To ensure that you receive Technical Alerts:

1. Click on your user name at the top of the FrontLine page
    2. Select the link associated with Manage your subscription
    3. Select the products you wish to receive Technical Alert Notifications for.

I've informed in the meantime the author of the Alert and the missing information (that the patches have been withdrawn) will be added to the the Product Home page for Uniface on Frontline ASAP.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Daniel

*** Usual disclaimer ***

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)
  3. Hi Daniel,

... i have a subscription since a couple of hours (too late, as usual).

Thanks for reminding the author to link it from the uniface homepage as well.

Makes the whole much clearer now.

Greetings,

Uli

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)
  4. From Frontline:

The problem we reported in the Uniface Technical Alert of March 30, 2012 (Bug 29630 - Proc code that has not been stored yet may be lost when compiling a component) has been resolved in patch E105. This patch is now available on Frontline.

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)