Part #1 Install Uniface under Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx)
Author: email@example.com (George Mockford)
To start the process of using Uniface under wine and Ubuntu I’ve split this into parts that will appear as weekly posts to Uniface.info. That way I can present the information in manageable and hopefully easily digestible parts.
- Post #1 Get Uniface working Under Linux(Ubuntu) within ‘WINE’
- Post #2 Address configuration settings
- Post #3 Identify and if possible fix non functional areas
- Post #4 Tips tricks. I expect (hope) by this point we might have some questions.
Beyond this point it depends on feedback. Areas that I’d like to explore are things like
- * Wine 1.2 release (Sometime soon this year??? fingers crossed)
- * Other versions of Linux (Ubuntu 10.10 (October), OpenSUSE, SUSE Enterprise, Red Hat etc)
- * Explore ‘Native’ Uniface back-end with ‘WINE’ desktop (Hybrid approach)
- * Explore restructuring install using standard Linux distro software/techniques (get-app, SUSE-YaST etc).
Software you need
- Ubuntu 10.4 codename “Lucid Lynx” April 29 2010
- WINE 1.1.43 April 6 2010
- Uniface 9.4.01 Including
- DLM 4.4.4
- Solid 4.5
Useful links and background reading:
Wine home http://www.winehq.org
Wine FAQ http://www.winehq.org/FAQ
Codeweavers http://www.codeweavers.com/ Paid support for WINE
Bordeaux http://bordeauxgroup.com/ Paid support for WINE
To keep this post small I’ve written the install and processes to deploy Uniface 9.4 under Ubuntu as a separate attachment. This is the promised Part #1 getting started and this should enable you to put the basic system in place and working.
So happy reading/building feedback is always appreciated.