The Uniface 10 IDE - Under the hood webex session (June 2014)

Author: adrian.gosbell@synapse-i.jp (Adrian Gosbell)

Any questions, comments, etc, please use this thread. 

8 Comments

1. Recorded versions of Gerton's presentation are now available on YouTube

Author: Adrian Gosbell (adrian.gosbell@synapse-i.jp)
  2. sochaz said Hello, I have a question about using keyboard (instead of mouse) and editing... all the IDE seems interesting and very promising. But as for editing something inside a grid... if I understand it correctly, all data are in some kind of (html) grid. You have to click to the place where data is and "editbox" appears on top of data so you can modify it. This is fine as long as you love the mouse and mouse-clicks. But how about keyboard? Keyboard is generally much faster than a mouse (ok, this might be a bit controversial for some people, but anyway Wink). Is there any way to navigate through the data (grid) and edit as needed? Maybe similar to MS Excel... you can use arrow keys to navigate and then press F2 to edit any cell you want. Kind regards, Zdeněk

The initial release will be predominantly mouse driven. This was a concious decision because we know that keyboard navigation is needed, it's a big topic, and there are a lot of thoughts and ideas out there which we want to capture. 

3. Hello, I have a question about using keyboard (instead of mouse) and editing... all the IDE seems interesting and very promising. But as for editing something inside a grid... if I understand it correctly, all data are in some kind of (html) grid. You have to click to the place where data is and "editbox" appears on top of data so you can modify it. This is fine as long as you love the mouse and mouse-clicks. But how about keyboard? Keyboard is generally much faster than a mouse (ok, this might be a bit controversial for some people, but anyway Wink). Is there any way to navigate through the data (grid) and edit as needed? Maybe similar to MS Excel... you can use arrow keys to navigate and then press F2 to edit any cell you want. Kind regards, Zdeněk

Author: sochaz (zdenek.socha@fullsys.cz)
  4. All,   I received some questions during the Bebex but I did not get a change to answer them, so I;'ll be trying to do here...

• Q: Availability timeline please?
    • A: We plan a candidate release at the end of this year and the first public available release beginning next year.
    • Q: We have around 3000+ forms. How will the editor handle searching and opening this amount of forms?
    • A: Navigating large amounts of objects supports a paging mechanism allowing you fetch more and more hits from the database. Next to navigation we allow entering the object name directly and we provide a repository search. The search will report in the form of URL in the footer section of the IDE from which you can click to open the editor.
    • Q: Is there a beta/ctp available?
    • A: We will have an candidate release at the end of this year. It is not a beta, which does not mean we are not open to any feedback, because we are. I guess, problems are reported using either the regular processes. Maybe we'll have for a limited amount of time a separate (easier?) process. (sounds a like a beta?). I do not know yet.

If you more questions, please drop them here and I will try to answer them. If you feel I do not respond quick enough (we have to do some work as well), I have no problem that you drop me an email: gerton.leijdekker@uniface.com Gerton

Author: Gerton Leijdekker (gerton.leijdekker@uniface.com)
  5. Gerton Leijdekker said All,   I received some questions during the Bebex but I did not get a change to answer them, so I;'ll be trying to do here...
    • Q: Availability timeline please?
    • A: We plan a candidate release at the end of this year and the first public available release beginning next year.
    • Q: We have around 3000+ forms. How will the editor handle searching and opening this amount of forms?
    • A: Navigating large amounts of objects supports a paging mechanism allowing you fetch more and more hits from the database. Next to navigation we allow entering the object name directly and we provide a repository search. The search will report in the form of URL in the footer section of the IDE from which you can click to open the editor.
    • Q: Is there a beta/ctp available?
    • A: We will have an candidate release at the end of this year. It is not a beta, which does not mean we are not open to any feedback, because we are. I guess, problems are reported using either the regular processes. Maybe we'll have for a limited amount of time a separate (easier?) process. (sounds a like a beta?). I do not know yet.
      If you more questions, please drop them here and I will try to answer them. If you feel I do not respond quick enough (we have to do some work as well), I have no problem that you drop me an email: gerton.leijdekker@uniface.com Gerton

Just to add some more info to Gerton's points.  There will be a workshop covering Uniface 10 at some of the user groups, starting with the US one in Las Vegas. So this is a chance to get your hands on the product and of course give us feedback and suggestions.  We've paid a lot of attention to the performance of the IDE in regards to the number of objects that are in some Uniface applications out there. We've implemented automated tests, which are designed to capture if we get deteriorations in the scalability.  We are now very much in the approach of regular Uniface updates being built. We started this with Uniface 9.6, and internally we are doing the same with Uniface 10, hence the reason why we have the online sessions and we show at the various user events and Lab visits. Once Uniface 10.01 is GA, we'll be updating it regularly, so it gives us the opportunity to respond to feedback. 

6. Slides are available on slideshare

7. Jason Zuvela said Hi I have a few questions, with this demonstration being my first experience of uniface 10..  
    1. Can the v10 IDE handle multiple repositories in the same session?
    1. If so, can it also handle multiple repositories of different versions - it would also then require compiling to target uniface versions eg. Work with v10, v9.6, v9.4 repositories and compile their respective components to v10, v9.6, v9.4 runtimes. This would allow the unification of all uniface development to be handled through a single IDE. We wouldn't need to open up different IDEs for different versions.
    1. Is it possible for the window title to be customizable or clearly show what version/repository is in use? This will be helpful for managing migration between our product versions.
    1. Is templating being enhanced? My experience of component templating in v9.6 left a lot to be desired. eg. If an operation is templated but then the operations trigger is changed, the templated operation will never automatically pick up those changes. eg. I could not template component variables or predefine dummy template fields.
    1. Do component elements retain all properties when copying/moving them? For example, moving fields between entities in v9.6 will lose information in the field properties.
    1. Will .NET be integrated? I find uniface extremely lacking in text manipulation. One reason is the lack of regex.
    1. Will the web environment still dependent on java? Are there any plans to enable a java-free web runtime? Currently we have to deploy with Tomcat or other java based webservers because of the dependency on the uniface-java servlet.
    1. Will repository fields receive a length increase? Some things like component names, entity names or global message names are restrictively short.
    1. Will an event handler paradigm be implemented in proc, comparable to the event loop paradigm of other languages? eg. Defining events and appending event handlers to them.
    1. Will callbacks be implemented in proc?
    1. Will the v10 IDE come with any premade html5 widgets? Is there a list of what's available so far?
    1. Does the undo/redo function work properly? In every version I've used so far it's very buggy and extremely frustrating. The state seems to get lost after a couple undo/redos, or it doesn't work at all.
    1. Will proc formatting be enhanced? eg. Any kind of text manipulation that is currently available in other editors such as Notepad++, like multiline indenting that works properly.

Jason, some answers. But try and make it to the User Group in Sydney. There will be a demo and presentation by Thomas, one of the architects, so lots of opportunity to ask questions and discuss some of the items below there. I'll also talk to him before hand, to get him to dig a little deeper into your questions. 

A: Not currently part of our plans. But Uniface 10 will have the concept of projects, making the organization of applications different. 

1. If so, can it also handle multiple repositories of different versions – it would also then require compiling to target uniface versions eg. Work with v10, v9.6, v9.4 repositories and compile their respective components to v10, v9.6, v9.4 runtimes. This would allow the unification of all uniface development to be handled through a single IDE. We wouldn't need to open up different IDEs for different versions.

A: This isn't going to happen. Uniface 10 will be for Uniface 10. Older development environments need the relevant version. 

1. Is it possible for the window title to be customizable or clearly show what version/repository is in use? This will be helpful for managing migration between our product versions.

A: Yes, this is implemented. 

1. Is templating being enhanced? My experience of component templating in v9.6 left a lot to be desired. eg. If an operation is templated but then the operations trigger is changed, the templated operation will never automatically pick up those changes. eg. I could not template component variables or predefine dummy template fields.

A: In the initial release, component templating will not be delivered. By the time we deliver Uniface 10.02, the release with a migration path, it will be included and should be better over the current implementation. 

1. Do component elements retain all properties when copying/moving them? For example, moving fields between entities in v9.6 will lose information in the field properties.

A: All local properties will be. Inherited properties will not be. 

1. Will .NET be integrated? I find uniface extremely lacking in text manipulation. One reason is the lack of regex.

A: Not in Uniface 10.01, as the focus is on the IDE rather than enhancing proc. 

1. Will the web environment still dependent on java? Are there any plans to enable a java-free web runtime? Currently we have to deploy with Tomcat or other java based webservers because of the dependency on the uniface-java servlet.

A: We're not changing the deployment engine at all in Uniface 10.01, but longer term we don't have any intention on changing the servlet approach. 

1. Will repository fields receive a length increase? Some things like component names, entity names or global message names are restrictively short.

A: No they won't. The reason is migration path and trying to minimize the risk of issues in this area. 

1. Will an event handler paradigm be implemented in proc, comparable to the event loop paradigm of other languages? eg. Defining events and appending event handlers to them.

1. Will callbacks be implemented in proc?

1. Will the v10 IDE come with any premade html5 widgets? Is there a list of what's available so far?

A: Not specifically for Uniface 10. We are working on some other projects around mobile at the moment which could benefit here. We will have a clearer idea on this later in the year. 

1. Does the undo/redo function work properly? In every version I've used so far it's very buggy and extremely frustrating. The state seems to get lost after a couple undo/redos, or it doesn't work at all.

A: It is a lot better in Uniface 10, we are using the scintilla editor in Uniface 10. It brings us a lot of benefits including a much better undo/redo mechanism.  

1. Will proc formatting be enhanced? eg. Any kind of text manipulation that is currently available in other editors such as Notepad++, like multiline indenting that works properly.

A: A: It is a lot better in Uniface 10, Scintilla  brings us a lot of benefits, some are already implemented in Uniface 10.  

8. Hi I have a few questions, with this demonstration being my first experience of uniface 10..  

2. If so, can it also handle multiple repositories of different versions - it would also then require compiling to target uniface versions eg. Work with v10, v9.6, v9.4 repositories and compile their respective components to v10, v9.6, v9.4 runtimes. This would allow the unification of all uniface development to be handled through a single IDE. We wouldn't need to open up different IDEs for different versions.
    3. Is it possible for the window title to be customizable or clearly show what version/repository is in use? This will be helpful for managing migration between our product versions.
    4. Is templating being enhanced? My experience of component templating in v9.6 left a lot to be desired. eg. If an operation is templated but then the operations trigger is changed, the templated operation will never automatically pick up those changes. eg. I could not template component variables or predefine dummy template fields.
    5. Do component elements retain all properties when copying/moving them? For example, moving fields between entities in v9.6 will lose information in the field properties.
    6. Will .NET be integrated? I find uniface extremely lacking in text manipulation. One reason is the lack of regex.
    7. Will the web environment still dependent on java? Are there any plans to enable a java-free web runtime? Currently we have to deploy with Tomcat or other java based webservers because of the dependency on the uniface-java servlet.
    8. Will repository fields receive a length increase? Some things like component names, entity names or global message names are restrictively short.
    9. Will an event handler paradigm be implemented in proc, comparable to the event loop paradigm of other languages? eg. Defining events and appending event handlers to them.
    10. Will callbacks be implemented in proc?
    11. Will the v10 IDE come with any premade html5 widgets? Is there a list of what's available so far?
    12. Does the undo/redo function work properly? In every version I've used so far it's very buggy and extremely frustrating. The state seems to get lost after a couple undo/redos, or it doesn't work at all.
    13. Will proc formatting be enhanced? eg. Any kind of text manipulation that is currently available in other editors such as Notepad++, like multiline indenting that works properly.

Author: Jason Zuvela (jason_zuvela@trimble.com)