export and import facilities has "enhanced"

Author: i2stiller@gmx.de (istiller)

In documentation I did read, that one can no longer export and import objects between different versions of UnifAce. What if you have to maintain different version over a long period? Not all of our customers are moving to UF 10 an first sight, some of them using "old" environments which we have to maintain too. Between UF 8 and UF 9 it was possible to move objects (8->9) and then migrate over and over. The same is true for different UF 9 versions. If this is not longer working, how to maintain more then one Uniface version?

2 Comments

1. I think I have to make a nuance on the documentation here. As of Uniface 10, we make a distinction between straightforward import and migration, where migration involves import following by a conversion (map data from old to new). As of Uniface 10, export files include a file version. This is a different version then the Uniface version. As long as the file version is compatible with the Uniface version you are trying to import into, import is possible and no data migration is required (and not performed). If a migration routine exists for the file version, it will be imported and converted (and only the imported data will be migrated). And then obviously, if no migration routine exists (the file version is really too old), the import will be rejected making sure that your repository does not get corrupted. Currently, incompatible export files cannot be detected good enough, which will corrupt the repository. We will keep on providing migration facilities for file versions that we think are appropriate. Not much changes here. About Uniface 10.1.01, being an early adapter release; it does not provide any migration. Simply, because we do not provide all editors just yet. Hope this helps clarifying things a bit - Gerton

Author: Gerton Leijdekker (gerton.leijdekker@uniface.com)
  2. Got it We will wait and see what will lie under the christmas tree :-)

Author: istiller (i2stiller@gmx.de)