[SOLVED] Application title in UDE

Author: lammersma@hotmail.com (lammersma)

Hi,   In Uniface 9 the logical  'IDFTITLE' can be used to specify the title in the titlebar. In Uniface 10 this logical does not work. Does anyone knows if there is a way to specify the title again by setting something in the asn?    Kind regards,   Peter

15 Comments

1. Hi Peter, As far as I know, this function has been declared obsolete for the Uniface 10 IDE, please see 'Uniface 10: Changes in Configuration Settings' ('Obsolete Logicals', last topic on the page) Regards, Arjen

Author: Arjen van Vliet (arjen.van.vliet@uniface.com)
  2. Hi Arjen, do you know which is a possible solution for U10 users opening more IDE sessions on different repos to be able to recognize each of them? This is quite a common situation: - Production IDE vs. Development IDE - Custom IDE vs. Distribution IDE - Custom IDE1 vs. Custom IDE2 Regards, Gianni

Author: gianni (gianni.sandigliano@unifacesolutions.com)
  3. Hi Gianni, Back in the day, before 'IDFTITLE', I've seen a lot of customers change font colors, menu bar colors and background colors by changing some values in the usys.ini for every single environment (DEV, TEST, STAGING, PROD). Provided you have a separate Uniface installation per environment as well, that is. Translating this method to Uniface 10, I'd say give it a go to do minor visual tweaks to your start page, which can be found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Uniface\Uniface 10.2.01\uniface\html\startpage.html Cheers, Arjen

4. Hi Arjen, I agree. There are things that can be made to visually differentiate between various versions of the IDE. However, when considering the needs of color blind people as well as visually impaired people, simply changing the color of some main components in the IDE is not really a sustainable argument. Surely, just as there are a number of new / existing [LOGICALS] - why would it be so difficult for the lab to put in a reference to a IDE_TITLEBAR (or whatever) in the ASN file in order to eliminate the need to play with colors and fonts? (a tag line comes to mind.... "made by developers....") Regards, Knut

Author: Knut (knut.dybendahl@gmail.com)
  5. why would you need this? I get that in U9 there was the need to open multiple UDE sessions, one per component. But in u10, the IDE enables multiple components to be open in one session. 

Author: Adrian Gosbell (adrian.gosbell@synapse-i.jp)
  6. Because, as I type this, I have no less than 4 IDx open and running at the same time... development, test for our current version in production - and development and test for our next version with enhancements.. Also, refer back to Gianni's previous reply in this thread... Regards, Knut

Author: Knut (knut.dybendahl@gmail.com)
  7. Just to echo this, because I have (currently) four separate 'supported' development environments (Dev, Testing, Latest Production Version, Previous Production version), and have 6 in total which I may need to refer to. Knowing which is which is vital. And I am copying/comparing from one to another so they are open at the same time.    IDFTITLE wouldn't help in the situation you are thinking of anyway would it Adrian? They'd all have the same title. It only changes when the ASN changes (i.e. when the IDF repository changes....)

Author: Iain Sharp (i.sharp@pcisystems.co.uk)
  8. Hi all, @Arijen: Back in the day, before ‘IDFTITLE’, using colors was identified from customers as a workaround; going back to colors does not seem to me the better choice for U10. I think customers are expecting more like "changing title AND colors" or somehow clearly identifying (An IDE/UDE title in main form?) which repo is used from an IDE/UDE process. @Adrian: I listed already in my previous post the main usage for developers; people working in support are often opening more URepo same time related to different customers, like Knut/Iain are talking about in their posts. Having in the window title a reference to each URepo/Customer is a great help...adding colors to this functionality could be of further help. There is a frank tought running in my mind just now: we had already wrote 8 posts in this thread (15min x 8 = 2hrs) just to discuss if this single line of code:       if ($logical("IDFTITLE") != "") $appltitle = $logical("IDFTITLE") should be maintained or not in U10 UDE/IDE code...Is it so difficult to maintain such functionality in U10? If yes, I am probably (still) missing something about "U10 written from developer for developers". Regards, Gianni

9. Hi all, I second the validity of the business case; the Uniface 10 IDE enabling opening multiple components in one session does not cover for having multiple repositories open at the same time. These repositories being different parts of your staged development (DEV, TEST, STAGING, PROD) (Uniface end-user customer), or different repositories for different customers (Uniface VAR/partner). Please consider my replies as merely a workaround for the current situation, I'm not trying to downplay the validity of the question in any way. @Knut: some minor tweaks in the start page of the IDE could also be adding some text ('DEV' of 'TEST'), for instance adding some text in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Uniface\Uniface 10.2.01\uniface\html\images\ext\banner.png or C:\Program Files (x86)\Uniface\Uniface 10.2.01\uniface\html\images\ext\uniface_logo.png, provided you have seperate Uniface installations per staging environment. Again, just workarounds... Cheers, Arjen

10. Hi all,   @Arjen, thanks for the hint about the startpage.html. But I think most developers don't have an Uniface installation per repostitory, but have several repositories that share 1 Uniface installation. I want to modify as less as possible in the Uniface installation folders.  I agree with Gianni. Is there a way to get this on the wishlist for the next version of Uniface? :)   Regards,   Peter

Author: lammersma (lammersma@hotmail.com)
  11. It's noted, and we're looking into in. Watch this space. 

Author: Adrian Gosbell (adrian.gosbell@synapse-i.jp)
  12. There is actually a logical in 10.2 for setting the IDE title (UU_IDFTAG). I'm not sure why this is undocumented (but the name seems to suggest that it is only intended for internal use). E.g.

[LOGICALS] UU_IDFTAG = My Uniface 10.2 Development Environment

Result:

"Uniface 10 IDE / My Uniface 10.2 Development Environment"  Please note that this is unsupported and probably will be changed in future versions - not to mention that I might get into trouble for mentioning this. Hope this helps. Daniel

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)
  13. ...and it works indeed! @Daniel: I didn't know this one. Apparently, I have to intensify my lab contactsEmbarassed @Gianni: 12 posts (times 15 minutes) in this thread sort of paid offWink

14. Arjen van Vliet said ... @Gianni: 12 posts (times 15 minutes) in this thread sort of paid offWink  

Agreed, sometimes the solution is just behind nearest corner! IMHO, it would be preferrable to maintain IDFTITLE as $logical() to be compatible with existing configurations. We are going to IDE but IDF is not a bad word! :-) Gianni

15. With the patch F212 a new logical has been introduced to change the Uniface 10 IDE's application title: > IDETITLE And the old logical IDFTITLE will also work again. The undocumented UU_IDFTAG, on the other hand, has been removed now. Hope this helps. Daniel

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)