[SOLVED] Transparency vs. background color

Author: i2stiller@gmx.de (istiller)

Hi Freaks Following problem: I got a mask with some visible area-frames. Exactly on such an area-frame there is painted a normal edit-field. It's purpose is to look like a heading for some information Old-style, the field don not have the box "transparancy" checked, so the line of the area-frame is not visibale underneath the field. To get the field background "invisible" we choose to use the same color then then mask itself. As some customers want another background color for all masks, I did this with by window=uwindow(backcolor=orange) Now, the field does have a background-color different to the mask: Not so nice Workaround for such fields: Check transparency: Much better, but ... No you got a line through the field and it's content as well So any idea to have a transparent field without the line from area-frame? :-) Ingo

6 Comments

1. Hi Ingo, It seems that you are looking for the Inherit Colors (InheritColor) property. If you enable this property for the field (and it has not explicit colors defined) then it will inherit the color from its parent, the entity. In case the entity also does not have any specific colors then the colors are inherited from the form (let's assume that we are not dealing with a frame in frame situation here). You can find more info about color inheritance here. Hope this helps. Daniel

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)
  2. diseli said Hi Ingo, It seems that you are looking for the Inherit Colors (InheritColor) property. Daniel  

Thanks Daniel That exactly what I'm looking for All this "neumodischer Kram" (new fashioned stuff) Laugh Ingo

Author: istiller (i2stiller@gmx.de)
  3. Hi Ingo, You are welcome. And this stuff is not really that new anymore. It was introduced with version 9.6 (end of 2012). Daniel

4. Ah, but isn't it the bane of all software houses, getting people to notice the cool little features which come out?  I know uniface hits the BIG stuff in webinars and such, but the tweaks and fly bys probably deserve some love as well. I know I'm appalling at reading the "What's new in Uniface" for titbits, but as we find releasing our own stuff, a one liner in the release notes is not as good as even a quick demo...

Author: Iain Sharp (i.sharp@pcisystems.co.uk)
  5. Iain Sharp said Ah, but isn't it the bane of all software houses, getting people to notice the cool little features which come out?  I know uniface hits the BIG stuff in webinars and such, but the tweaks and fly bys probably deserve some love as well. I know I'm appalling at reading the "What's new in Uniface" for titbits, but as we find releasing our own stuff, a one liner in the release notes is not as good as even a quick demo...  

There was also a blog about this and other features (see Modernizing an Existing UNIFACE Application) and I'm pretty certain that this was demoed at the user conferences at the time. But it probably would be useful if it had more "import-compile-and-run" samples (for e.g. new features)...

6. Yeah, I think it's that one where, you see the thing, and you might think "this thing is cool", but you've not got a project at the moment based on it, (because you didn't know it was going to be possible...) and when such a thing comes along, you don't KNOW the code like you do the stuff you use every day to remember it's there. I'm not pointing blame at anyone here, just bemoaning a terrible fact of a developer's life. Half of what you write is too complex for people to pick up, and thus spends it's life being underutilised from the full glory you envisaged for it... 

Author: Iain Sharp (i.sharp@pcisystems.co.uk)