Retrieve with gold*

Author: marco.aquino@dedalus.eu (Marco)

Hi, on U9 (9.4.01.02, R126) the retrieve profile "GOLD*" doesn't read any record, in U8 this works correctly. With "Generated sql" and "Description (where & order by clause" set on debug, I see the same result like this: "I/O function: S, mode: 0, on file/table:TABLE index: 1 >= Where ((FIELD = '*'))" On U9 I must add another GOLD* at the end, but so I get any combination with the value inside. Any suggestion? Marco

3 Comments

1. Hi marco, sometimes it depends how your data is stored (check your local driver settings). Take ORACLE as an example where ordinary character colomns are padded with trailing spaces which have to be taken into account. So the 10 character string with the displayed value "myted" has to be seen as "myted " If the same is specified as VARCHAR with a length of 10, it is the expected "myted" end of show. "my*" anything fine if you enter the first characters and apply the *-wildcard at the end because this covers the characters as well as spaces. "*ted" hard if you want to see a text which ends with a given pattern because "myted" ends with ted, but "myted " doesn't, because of the trailing spaces.

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)
  2. ulrich-merkel said Hi marco, sometimes it depends how your data is stored (check your local driver settings). Take ORACLE as an example where ordinary character colomns are padded with trailing spaces which have to be taken into account. So the 10 character string with the displayed value "myted" has to be seen as "myted " If the same is specified as VARCHAR with a length of 10, it is the expected "myted" end of show. "my*" anything fine if you enter the first characters and apply the *-wildcard at the end because this covers the characters as well as spaces. "*ted" hard if you want to see a text which ends with a given pattern because "myted" ends with ted, but "myted " doesn't, because of the trailing spaces.

Hi Uli, thanks for your reply, I now that, but the same form on the same field in U8 works correctly, in U9 not. The field is char (oracle), maybe this is the problem? In char field always is padding with space to the size of field. Do you know if in U9 is changed something on char datatype? Marco

Author: Marco (marco.aquino@dedalus.eu)
  3. Hi Marco, I think the best is if you compare what your uniface documentation says for your special U8 and U9-version. And compare the driver settings in your ASN files as well as in the documentation. And you may ask your local CPWR contact for on-site assistance.

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)