$fieldname return PROCERR[<UPROCERR_FIELD>]

Author: marco.aquino@dedalus.eu (Marco)

Hi,
I found this error that in U8 did not appear.
The value of $fieldname return PROCERR[<UPROCERR_FIELD>] instead of name of field.
This appear when a setocc on other entities is performed.
Then if a new test on it like if (@ $ fieldname! = "") or assignment @$fieldname=$$VAR crashes Uniface.

Example like this

Detail trigger on a field:

call lf_proc
if (@$fieldname="")
   return -1
end if
return 0

the entry proc:

entry lf_proc
   setocc "ent",1
   while($status > 0)
      ...something...
   endwhile
end

The $fieldname change value  after a setocc instruction and the uniface crashes on "if" statement or at the end of trigger if I used an assignment.

Windows XP or Windows server 2003 R2 32bit
Uniface version 9.4.0.1 R117 or R124 also

Marco

18 Comments

1. Quick solution,
    Replace @$fieldname with <$fieldname>, this hard codes the field name in at the time of compilation, and is therefore 'proof' against this issue.

We have been wholesale replacing $fieldname with <$fieldname> in all the detail etc triggers, and it certainly makes life less fraught.

Author: Iain Sharp (i.sharp@pcisystems.co.uk)
  2. Hi marco,

we encountered similar things when the "active path" is touched in the middle of a proc code.

Looks like performing entity-based-commands will extinguish the $fieldname pointer

Iain's suggestion using <$fieldname> precompiler constant has a lot of benefits:

- directly bound during compile (will speed up processing)

- works on "control" fields as well where $fieldname in not the name of the field activating the DTLF

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)
  3. The Iain's suggestion is very powerful, but it solves only a problem on field trigger.

In my example I show the code to generate error, but in my application the code is in a global proc and is used on many fields and the suggestion doesn't work.

Marco

Author: Marco (marco.aquino@dedalus.eu)
  4. the 9.4.R123 documentation is not too clear but ....

$fieldname returns:

• Name of the current field if Field is not specified. If there is no current field (that is, if the last node of the active path is not a field), $fieldname sets $procerror to -1101.
    • Name of the field, if Field is specified and the field is present in the component.

If an error occurs $procerror contains a negative value that identifies the exact error.

... may say there is not always a target for $fieldname (put it as a watch in the debugger and see what happens)

In the old days, it was said there is no $fieldname possible in entity triggers.

And because @$fieldname directly uses the pointer, this is there it may cause the mess.

In your global procs, it may be enough to assign $fieldname to a dummy and check procerror afterwards before you use @$fieldname

5. If it's in global proc then something like what Uli said would work. v_fieldname = $fieldname call lf_proc if(@v_fieldname="") return -1 endif return 0

6. Yes, a global proc may be easier to "correct" the problem.
    In the beginning of code I add a

v_fieldname = $fieldname

and after I test the local variabile instead of $fieldname, but it is possible, and this is a real case, that before a global proc I have other code with a setocc instruction inside, for example to control something, that make a $fieldname in error.

Marco

7. what about the following?

in each field level trigger, cache $fieldname into v_fieldname (or $fieldname$) immediately

and use the variable afterwards instead of $fieldname

8. Yes, this is the workaround but I must check every trigger because I have the common code in global proc and I used it.

Is not sufficient to save the value of $filedname in a local variable, because I don't know if every trigger that use a global proc has or not code before that causes a $fieldname error. The right way is to pass a global proc a saved value for use it, so I need to change definition of global proc, or use, and then defined in every component, a component variabile to save and use the right value of $fieldname.

I remind that in the previous version U8 worked fine, it is conceivable a solution by Compuware?

Marco

9. If you are changing the occurrence, then the $fieldname value is undefined anyway. Your code is built to USE a bug in Uniface which they have since fixed. Unless you are returning to the 'current' occurrence at part of your setocc operations, you cannot and should not rely on $fieldname being what it was when you left the original occurrence.

I think we are possibly missing something in that you have not told us what the 'setocc' stuff is doing for you. And/or why it's likely to fire before the global proc.

10. Ian, thanks for your answer, but for me this bug fix is a problem.

I don't know how much code I need to change, we have more than 4000 components potentially affected by the problem.

Debugging I see the same behavior with U8 and U9, after setocc instruction the value of $fieldname is "PROCERR[<UPROCERR_FIELD>]", but when I back in detail trigger and I do

@$fieldname = value

U8 works, U9 crash.

I tried to return on correct entity by setocc instruction and the $fieldname now is not in error, but the value is the first field of entity and not a field where I do the action.

I think that in trigger field level is correct that value of $fieldname is the field itself always, I'm doing a field action (detail, leave field, etc).

Marco

11. Hi marco,

unfortunately $fieldname is not the name of the field hosting the trigger if it is "CONTROL" type.

12. Ok I know, but my field is "database" type and in this case (also in non-database or boilerplate) I think that the value of $fieldname, in trigger code, should be the name of field, because the focus is on the field. For control type the focus is not so.

Marco

13. But your statement was that this code is not in a field trigger, but in global proc called by the field trigger? Otherwise the fix to replace @$fieldname with <$fieldname> would work.

14. I think that the content $fieldname is a volatile/fragile issue and (at best) is valid in non-control fields if nothing touches the active path in between.

I recommend a $$fieldname variable which is set in each field-related trigger as a quick-fix.

Better, but much more exhausting is the migration to pass the fieldname as an argument to each global proc.

15. Ian you are right, my code is in a global proc but call in detail field trigger.

The right solution is pass parameter with name of field to global proc and use it instead of $fieldname like Ulrich says.

Marco

16. Sounds good. You can probably do this by exporting the app to XML and using a global find and replace to set all "call GLOBAL_PROC" to "call GLOBAL_PROC("<$fieldname>")"

17. another quick-fix modification to have the changes in a single place:

"call GLOBAL_PROC" is cloned into GLOBAL_PROC1 and uses the fieldname parameter now.

the existing GLOBAL_PROC just calls the new one with $fieldname as the parameter (assuming $fieldname is correct when calling)
    "call GLOBAL_PROC1($fieldname)"

Brings down the workload, but has some assumptions about calling context.

18. I like both solutions.

I'll be consider what is the best for me.

Marco