"Capital ẞ", will UnifAce support this...

Author: i2stiller@gmx.de (istiller)

After about one hundred years, the germans decide to use offcially the "capital letter eszett" >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_%E1%BA%9E Will UnifAce support this character and if yes, how to enter? Ingo PS: Don't take this post too serious :-) There is - aparat of a few occurrences - no need for a capital version of "ß" like this "ẞ" PS2:@Daniel: The Confederation is not influenced by this :-) :-)

2 Comments

1. Hello Ingo, to your questions: - On a keyboard (newer windows, german) just use Shift-AltGr-ß, then you can enter the Capital ß - uniface handling: in non-Unicode not possible, in a unicode environment: no problem (if you got a font which can display it...) The need of Capital-ß depends at least on that, how standard programmes will handle this in future (e.g. uppercase-algorithms). If one day the standard mechanism in windows/word ... are enhanced, it'll get popular. And as I can see, it is already supported on the keyboard. And I can imagine, if our customers detect this feature and test it -or import data with a Capital ß- to our non-unicode applications ... we need to react. Anyway, thanks for the hint. Greetings Wolfgang

Author: gypsilon (wva@gypsilon.de)
  2. - On a keyboard (newer windows, german) just use Shift-AltGr-ß, then you can enter the Capital ß - uniface handling: in non-Unicode not possible, in a unicode environment: no problem (if you got a font which can display it...)

Hi Wolfgang The possibility to input a capital-ß depends not only on this OS version, but also on the programm, keyboard and font in use. It's a great "Kuddel-Muddel" to find a proper way to type capital-ß :-) Officially (T2 keyboard layout), you should use AltGr-h https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:German-Keyboard-Layout-T2-Version2-large.png Under Windows-7 and Word, I have to use Alt-7-8-3-8 A texteditor like this form will display a "x" when enter Alt-7-8-3-8 Using AltGr-Shift-ß in Word will displayed as  "¿" And so on... :-) Ingo

Author: istiller (i2stiller@gmx.de)