U9 and U7 temporarly integrated via PostMessage?

Author: gianni.sandigliano@unifacesolutions.com (gianni)

Hi Unifacers, Is it possible to temporarly integrate a U7 existing application with a U9 application via PostMessage using URouter U9 (or U7)? Gianni

5 Comments

1. Hi Gianni, Not without some trickery. In Uniface 7 there was no urouter, IIRC you'd need to use the UMD for inter-process communication. The UMD uses a different protocol than urouter.   What you can do is let U7 call out to the U9 upostmsg.dll (or spawn the umsgutil.exe). This dll and exe are not dependent on the U9 runtime, you should be able to copy them to your U7 environment and use them there without a problem. Or so I think - I haven't tried it out ;-) Good luck, Chris

Author: Chris Breemer (chris.breemer@uniface.com)
  2. Hi Gianni, According to our network guy it should be possible to post a message from UF7 to UF8, the urouter protocol was designed so that this should still work. We've not tried it against UF9 but it may well work. Cheers Chris

3. Just trying to raise the bar... I think the answer could easily be a sounding NO, but...asking an advice should not kill anyone! :-) What about remotely executing a U9 selfcontained service from a U7 application? Is the network communication protocol somehow compatible? Gianni

Author: gianni (gianni.sandigliano@unifacesolutions.com)
  4. Gianni, not by design, and not tested. I would advise against this kind of thing. Something could subtly change in the communication layer and it could have an effect.  We are doing work in the network layers as part of the security project. It will be tested 'version to version'. 

Author: Adrian Gosbell (adrian.gosbell@synapse-i.jp)
  5. I think the answer here must be a resounding NO :) Postmessage is a simple protocol that we kept intact between UF7 and UF8. Remote service execution is an entirely other game, definitely not going to work between UF7 and UF9.