[SOLVED] Service Stored Procedures (SSPs)

Author: elim.de.brock@tui.nl (ErikFiets)

We use SSPs to call stored procedures in an Oracle database. Now we want to use character encoding UTF8 but Uniface crashes most of the time when the SSP is called. I finally found this in the documentation:

Restrictions

Stored procedure components have the following restrictions: "There is no support for multibyte language character sets."

Is there no workaround? This is a serious limitation! Frown

8 Comments

1. Erik, what database are you using? 

Author: Adrian Gosbell (adrian.gosbell@synapse-i.jp)
  2. We use an Oracle database (see post).

Author: ErikFiets (elim.de.brock@tui.nl)
  3. s

ErikFiets said
    We use an Oracle database (see post).

sorry, more specific, what version of oracle and what driver are you using? 

Author: Adrian Gosbell (adrian.gosbell@synapse-i.jp)
  4. I cannot say anything specifically about the restriction you've found in the documentation. But (as far as I can see) it should be possible to use UTF-8 when calling an Oracle SSP. I've found the following BUG that has been resolved:

You just have to make sure that you are using at least Uniface 9.5.01 + E114 (or higher) or Uniface 9.6.01 + X104 (or higher). If this does not help then it might be a good idea to log a call with support. Hope this helps. Kind regards, Daniel Iseli Uniface Support

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)
  5. Uniface version: 9.5.01.02 (E108 0719_1) Oracle client version: 11.2.0 @Diseli: Uniface crashes when the SSP is called so this is different from "BUG:30003" where the return value contains reversed question marks. Besides, the documentation tells me: “There is no support for multibyte language character sets.”

6. ErikFiets said Uniface version: 9.5.01.02 (E108 0719_1) Oracle client version: 11.2.0 @Diseli: Uniface crashes when the SSP is called so this is different from "BUG:30003" where the return value contains reversed question marks. Besides, the documentation tells me: “There is no support for multibyte language character sets.”

Thanks for the info. But it still might be a good idea to install (at least) the patch E114 (that includes a fix for 30003). It's at least worth a try. And it might be correct that that documentation states that there "is no support for multibyte language character sets". On the other hand: who says that the documentation is always correct? Wink I did not really dig into this, but it might be possible that the mentioned info from the documentation is not up to date anymore. I know (from our Knowledge Base) that there's at least one customer that has been able to use UTF-8 with Oracle SSPs. In case you are still facing problems then please contact support. We then can also investigate (in more detail) if the documentation needs to be updated here (or not). Hope this helps. Kind regards, Daniel Iseli Uniface Support

7. Thanks for your help! You are right. It works with "Uniface 9.6.05 (X505)". So maybe the documentation can be updated? Anyway, we will start the migration somewhere in the near future. Hopefully all goes well ;-) Kind regards, Erik

8. Hi Erik, Thanks for letting know that you've got this working now. Smile And I'll ask the lab if they could have another look at the documentation. Kind regards, Daniel