[SOLVED] 9.7 - background too bright!!

Author: knut.dybendahl@gmail.com (Knut)

Hi all, I just downloaded 9.7 - got it installed and all good so far - apart from; The background in the form painter (outside my form and the component editor window) is bright white - and I don't seem to be able to switch it to another color.... I'm sitting here with 4 monitor - and 4 very white and bright screens ---- :-( For the safety of my eyes, I'd like to change this - alas, how and where?? Knut

8 Comments

1. Hi Knut, In you case you do not like the improved "pearly white" developer experience then you could get back the old, boring, and grey background colors by commenting out the following lines in the usys.ini (the IDF is usally using the one in \uniface\adm):

shell=ushell(backcolor=#F9FCFF) window=uwindow(backcolor=white)

Hope this helps. Wink Kind regards, Daniel P.S. I've probably just lost some "friends" in Marketing. Laugh

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)
  2. As I commented on the blog post, is there a way of toning down the bright colours on the front screen to something which doesn't sear the eyes as well?  Sounds like marketing have made the same choices Microsoft did ("Our customers are two year olds who need colourful blocks to be happy" and "White, minimalist white, high contrast is so restful." (Newer outlook and word etc ughhh)). Both choices are the equivalent of having a siren whistling constantly in your ear, it's awful for the first few hours, but then you go deaf.  regards, Iain

Author: Iain Sharp (i.sharp@pcisystems.co.uk)
  3. Iain Sharp said As I commented on the blog post, is there a way of toning down the bright colours on the front screen to something which doesn't sear the eyes as well?  Sounds like marketing have made the same choices Microsoft did ("Our customers are two year olds who need colourful blocks to be happy" and "White, minimalist white, high contrast is so restful." (Newer outlook and word etc ughhh)). Both choices are the equivalent of having a siren whistling constantly in your ear, it's awful for the first few hours, but then you go deaf.  regards, Iain

Hi Iain, I'm not 100% certain, but it looks like as if the colors of the new start page are hard coded. Sorry. Confused Regards, Daniel

4. I guess it's not only the colors are hard coded - the background color for the application startup shell seems to be hard coded too.... Hence, whilst I can change the color of the paint tablau, everything else remains - as Iain said (with tounge in cheek) - “White, minimalist white, high contrast is so restful.” Dear Uniface Gods and Goddesses - please, please either change the color or find a way for us to change the background color...

Author: Knut (knut.dybendahl@gmail.com)
  5. Knut said I guess it's not only the colors are hard coded - the background color for the application startup shell seems to be hard coded too.... Hence, whilst I can change the color of the paint tablau, everything else remains - as Iain said (with tounge in cheek) - “White, minimalist white, high contrast is so restful.” Dear Uniface Gods and Goddesses - please, please either change the color or find a way for us to change the background color...

Hmm... When I disable the above mentioned shell (settings for the Startup-Shell window) and window (settings for the Form windows) setting in the INI file (section [application]) then the the component editor of the Version 9.7.01 IDF looks exactly the same as the one from version 9.6. And I'm testing this on Windows 7 btw. I currently don't know how the colors look like on a Windows 8.x or 10 system, but I expect no differences between Uniface 9.6 and 9.7 when using the same INI settings. And just to be clear: I'm only talking about the component editor and not the the start page of the IDF. So either we're talking about something different here or you've changed the incorrect INI. Just a thought... Hope this helps. Regards, Daniel

6. Hi Daniel - You're a champ - I didn't think of commenting out the 'window' setting... So, combining the commented out 'window' setting with this : shell=ushell(backcolor=#669999) it's configurable for the developer - and imho - much easier on the eyes! Thanking you! Knut

Author: Knut (knut.dybendahl@gmail.com)
  7. Knut said Hi Daniel - You're a champ - I didn't think of commenting out the 'window' setting... So, combining the commented out 'window' setting with this : shell=ushell(backcolor=#669999) it's configurable for the developer - and imho - much easier on the eyes! Thanking you! Knut

You are welcome! Laugh Daniel

8. I think that this situation can be helpful to put a limit to how much you offer to developers, a moderator should understand the reasons of those who work all day than those who must produce a product to sell at a fair; as they say in my land "the contents are more important than form." Thanks

Author: TheAleph (mail@gandg.it)