9.6.06 TAB/TABex: Visualising "current field"

Author: ulrichmerkel@web.de (ulrich-merkel)

On TABex (and TAB): How can I visualise that a user is positioned on the tab widget (not inside the embedded form!) so cursor-right / cursor-left willl select which tabpages are shown?

4 Comments

1. Hi Uli, You can set one or more of the following properties: - Active image - Active background color - Active foreground color When the user presses the left/right cursor keys in the tab strip you will see these properties on the active tab.   The difficulty is in showing the user that he is in the right state/place to start pressing the left/right keys. Best that I can come up with: Use the Field Gets Focus trigger and Leave Field trigger to set a property (perhaps the FrameColor) to indicate that the TabEx widget has focus.

Author: Theo Neeskens (tneeskens@itblockz.nl)
  2. Hi Theo, yes that's an option and the one I already implemented (changing the Active background color to red)   But the endusers demand the same visualisation as in all other windows applications: a dotted frame around the active tab.   So we are back to the old: why is the look and feel of a widget in uniface so different from the windows world?

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)
  3. ulrich-merkel said Hi Theo, yes that's an option and the one I already implemented (changing the Active background color to red)   But the endusers demand the same visualisation as in all other windows applications: a dotted frame around the active tab.   So we are back to the old: why is the look and feel of a widget in uniface so different from the windows world?

Can you give a bit more detail? I am using chrome, and I don't see a dotted frame around my tabs, so I don't really understand what you are missing, and if it is something that is 'in the windows world'. 

Author: Adrian Gosbell (adrian.gosbell@synapse-i.jp)
  4. At first: it's not what I am missing, the "this in not the real windows look-and-feel" is what sales people hear from prospects, and it's very hard to make a deal when their application competes with a couple of ones who are seen to be "real" windows applications.   On standard windows applications there is some keyboard-only navigation implemented which even allows switching between tab-pages. To help you: Just activate the local services overview and after some TABs you will see the dotted frame at the bottom of the page. Left and right arrow allows changing the presented information.   Having a closer look at Chrome, it is obvious that using the keypoard, the focus is never positione on the tabs; so you can not navigate between the tabs using the keyboard. Let's assume you have entered "uniface.info" on your chrome adressfield and hit enter. A SHIFT-TAB in chrome willl position you not at the tabs, but at the last DOM which is something "legal". Unfortunatly I can not see it because it is overlayed by some other information. But the next SHIFT-TAB will set the focus to "Uniface Carrers" and visualise that with the dotted frame.

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)