Urouter entries for (WEB CLIENT)

Author: i.sharp@pcisystems.co.uk (Iain Sharp)

We have recently updated from 9.4 to 9.6.04 (still need XP) and now I find on occasion several entries in the urouter monitor labelled (WEB CLIENT), with negative process ids.  We use the WASV web services link, but do not use unifaceflow or unifaceview.  Several questions arise.  1. What are these 'processes'? 2. Do they count as clients?  3. Are they affecting performance?  4. If 2 or 3, then can I turn them off?    regards,    Iain

4 Comments

1. Hi Iain, These are indeed Web Client processes which apparently have not finished their interaction with urouter yet. Did you really start seeing these only after moving from 9.4 to 9.6 ? I would be surprised about that. But all things are possible. Actually these are threads in the webserver (Tomcat or similar) and thus don't have a unique process id. That is why we use the negative numbers which is (once you know it) less confusing than seeing multiple clients with the same process id. They are indeed urouter clients, and will count towards $MAX_CLIENTS. Are you using that setting ? Best not to set to too low in a web environment ! I don't think they will have much impact on performance as their typical state is waiting for response. What their uservers might be doing is another matter of course. No, there is no way to "turn them off", whatever exactly you imply with that. I hope this helps. Cheers, Chris Breemer

Author: Chris Breemer (chris.breemer@uniface.com)
  2. So are they webservices (WASV) entries?  We don't use DSPs or any other form of web-page entries. Just the web-services.  When I deliberately fire a web-service lookup from an external site, I see the WASV entry, which has a matching UST in my urouter.asn.  I don't know what UST these things are using, or where they are coming from. So, that sounds like they are responding to either random or malicious requests on our ip address.  As such, i'd like to be able to track why they are started, and how, and potentially firewall that off, as I REALLY don't like unidentified, web-based, access to any part of our system. Hence my desire to turn them off, unless they are indeed the web-service requests.    Iain

Author: Iain Sharp (i.sharp@pcisystems.co.uk)
  3. Iain, Could it be that they come from one of default urouter.asn servers? There's a whole stack of entries for flow/view - I remove them as well as the corresponding folders - alas, I don't see any 'rouge' clients in the urouter montior.... Regards, Knut

Author: Knut (knut.dybendahl@gmail.com)
  4. Knut said Iain, Could it be that they come from one of default urouter.asn servers? There's a whole stack of entries for flow/view - I remove them as well as the corresponding folders - alas, I don't see any 'rouge' clients in the urouter montior.... Regards, Knut

Iain, Knut is on the right track. The web clients are most likely related to the Uniface Flow Dashboard (a web app). You can disable the Dashboard by deleting/renaming the following XML files in the dir {UnifaceApsDir}\common\tomcat\conf\Catalina\localhost: * dashboard.xml * unifaceflow.xml. And the Dashboard is using the UST unet - so you also could remove it from the urouter.asn. Hope this helps. Kind regards, Daniel

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)