checking in entire respository - first time into Source code control.

Author: benjamin.woodruff@quill.com (gardenspider63)

Hello,   Working with Uniface 9.6 and SVN via PushOk.  No problems with setup so far as we have figured out that much of it.   However, I cannot figure out how to get the entire respository into the source code control(SCC) in one operation.  I can export everything into files(in the SCC working directory) using clustering rules. However, doing that does not check those files into the SCC and when I open the SCC project up, those files do not appear and I cannot retrieve them.  So, does anyone have a simple answer, as I cannot find a solution here so far, or in the U9.6 documentation.   Thanks,   GardenSpider

8 Comments

1. I do not know much about integrating Uniface with SVN and PushOk, however from a purely SVN point of view when you "export" stuff out a SVN repository, you get only the contents of the repository and no repository tracking. If you want to get stuff out a repository, make modifications to the files and save the changes as new versions, you should "checkout" the repository or some part of it to a "working copy" and when you are done making changes, you should "commit" those changes back to the repository. When you "checkout" stuff from a SVN repository, you should see a ".svn" folder at the top level of your "working copy" (although this might be a hidden folder, so you might need to turn on visibility to hidden folders), however you will not see any such ".svn" folders when you "export" stuff out of a SVN repository. Hope this helps you somewhat, however do post back if you have additional questions. 

Author: hbatra (uniface.hbatra@hbatra.com)
  2. I am trying to get all the source code objects into the SCC for the FIRST time.   GardenSpider

Author: gardenspider63 (benjamin.woodruff@quill.com)
  3. I am assuming you are using Windows - If you also have TortoiseSVN installed it is quite easy - The steps are listed below: 1. Create a new folder (e.g. C:\UnifaceRepo) 2. Open the folder in Windows Explorer 3. Right-click in the right-hand pane and choose TortoiseSVN -> Create Repository here 4. (Optional, yet recommended) Choose the option to "Create the folder structure". * 5. Select the path to the repository and copy it (e.g. file:///C:\UnifaceRepo) - You will need the path in step 9. 6. Navigate to the folder where your source code files are (e.g. C:\UnifaceSource) 7. Right-click on the top level folder (C:\UnifaceSource) and choose TortoiseSVN -> Import 8. You should see a TortoiseSVN import window with the path to the source folder in the Title Bar (C:\UnifaceSource - Import - TortoiseSVN) 9. In the URL of repository, paste the path to the repository (file:///C:\UnifaceRepo) and append to it (/trunk/C-UnifaceSource/). ** 10. (Optional, yet always recommended) Enter a comment in the import message box. 11. Click OK - Your files will be imported into the repository and will be ready to be checked out into other working-copies. * The folder structure that you opt for, creates 3 folders in your repository, labeled trunk, tags and branches. Until you learn more about SVN, ONLY use the trunk folder to manage your repository. ** The /trunk portion is tied to the comment above and should be fairly evident. The part after the /trunk/ is a personal convention of mine, it helps me remember where I got the files from originally and keeps me organized. It does not however prevent anybody from checking out this part of the repository tree into any other folder / working copy of their choice. P.S. You can also do all of the above with command-line tools if you wish, just search for help on the svn command-line tool. A copy of the svn command-line tool is available in the bin folder of your TortoiseSVN installation. I would also recommend getting a copy of the VisualSVN server (free) from VisualSVN.com to manage your repository.

4. Another way to resolve the situation, is that after you export your stuff out of Uniface, you could also check out the empty repository in to the top level of your export folder structure. When you attempt to checkout from SVN, you might get a warning that you are doing a checkout into a non-empty folder. As long as the folder that you are checking out to is not already a part of some working copy you can ignore the warning. After the checkout is complete, you can then "add" all the files already present in your working copy / export folder tree to the catalog of files you want to version control, and then commit your added files. This will copy all your exported files into the repository. TortoiseSVN and other SVN tools allow you to "add" new files/folders to an existing repository. This is a different workflow, however it achieves the exact same result as before.

5. Hi Harjit, Would you be able to share how you connected TortoiseSVN? Are you using igloo or PushOK or another DLL?? Regards, Knut

Author: Knut (knut.dybendahl@gmail.com)
  6. As far as I know, you cannot connect TortoiseSVN to Uniface - TortoiseSVN adds functionality to Windows Explorer to interface with SVN repositories. Similarly, Ankh and VisualSVN add functionality to Visual Studio to interface with SVN. For Uniface you would need something like puskOk or AgentSVN to act as the middle layer (the SCCI) between Uniface and SVN, or igloo to serve as the SCCI between Uniface and CVS. My previous posts were just illustrating how to load a SVN repository with a folder structure using TortoiseSVN or command-line tools. As I said earlier (in post #2) I do not have experience with using Uniface-pushOk. I do use Uniface and I also use SVN (with Visual Studio) but I do not use Uniface and SVN together. If you really want to integrate version control with Uniface source code, you might want to explore the UD6/Version Control from March-Hare.com (http://www.march-hare.com/library/html/ud6blurb.htm).

7. Hi Harjit, Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. Regards, Knut

Author: Knut (knut.dybendahl@gmail.com)
  8. an update:   Got the repository checked into SVN via Pushok.  Opened a form and checked out.  however, when form was closed and reopened, the form was no longer checked in.  Has anyone experienced this issue and perhaps is it a configuration or settings issue for Uniface or Pushok?   Thanks!   Gardenspider

Author: gardenspider63 (benjamin.woodruff@quill.com)