Model: what should be included in the runtime environment?

Author: knut.ivar.alvestad@logica.com (knutia)

I have finished programing my assume program. I have made one model for my program. When I now am going to install this in a run-time environment, it is obvious that I should generate sql for my custom model so that it can be created in a oracle schema. What about the models that came with Uniface? I’m referring to the models like U, DICT, PRINTER, STATE and SYSENV. Is there any of those I should generated sql for and have them created in my oracle run-time schema?

3 Comments

1. Hi Knut, well if you use the traditional printing, you need a PRATT table which is the model PRINTER. You don't need the DICT and the U at the runtime, because the DICT info is added to the FRM files during compile. On STATE and SYSENV, I am not 100% sure With the uniface installation, you should have got the SQL to install these Models in the uniface\sql subdirectory as ora6*.sql, so there is no need for you to generate the SQL files again

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)
  2. Thanks for the help. As far as I can make out I only need ora6xpt.sql (PRINTER) from the uniface\sql subdirectory, as i use the traditional printing. In the sql for the Application model STATE (ora6xat.sql) it states: The entities of the application model STATE are used by the State Manager component on UNIFACE Server Pages and Session Services but only when this property is set. Data is located on path $SYS. As I don’t use Server Pages I guess I can skip it. In the sql for the Application model SYSENV (ora6xst.sql) it states: The entities of the application model SYSENV contain permissions and preferences for use of the Application Development System that have been established at an individual site. The Application Development System locates the tables or files associated with these entities on the path $SYS. As I interpreters this to be used for permissions and preferences for IDF it has nothing to do in a runtime environment. The only thing that wasn’t so clear was the text in ora6xtt.sql regarding the Application model TEXT: The entities of the application model TEXT contain information which is accessed at run-time by all UNIFACE applications. These entities are located on the path $UUU. The Application Development System is responsible for maintaining the information stored in the entities of the application model TEXT. It seems to be part of the Development System. And isn’t the TEXT compiled into the DOL or URR file?

Author: knutia (knut.ivar.alvestad@logica.com)
  3. Hi Knut, You are correct for STATE and SYSENV. The TEXT model you normally also do not need: Uniface Global objects like Message have a two step compilation process. The sources are stored in the USOURCE.DICT table. When you compile an object from the IDF it gets stored in the UOBJ.TEXT table. You can ship your application this way, for example when you want a local administrator to be able to edit messages. But it is more common to execute the second stage of the compilation as well. With /dol you compile UOBJ.TEXT to a dol file. A similar process exist for model information (ULANA) From your post I read that you make a DOL file, so you do not need the TEXT tables. Regards, Theo

Author: Theo Neeskens (tneeskens@itblockz.nl)