Password field in Uniface?

Author: zdenek.socha@fullsys.cz (sochaz)

Hello, I'm trying to make our application in Uniface looks a bit better. For password fields we used editbox with NDI syntax and NoDisplayCharacter set to 42 (an asterix). But it does not look great nowadays, so I wanted to change it to a bullet or something more common. According to Uniface Library "The default value is a bullet (decimal 165)." But that's not true... the decimal 165 is the yen symbol, not a bullet. I have tried to enter a 149, which should be a bullet character, but this results in very strange behaviour (nothing is shown at all). Real bullet character seems to be U+2022, which is a hex value, so this should be 8226 in decimal. So I have tried to enter 8226 as No Display Character, but Uniface changed it to 255. So it seems it is not possible to use any character with ASCII code greater than 255. I just wonder, what do you use as No Display Character for password field (editbox) in Uniface? Is there any way to use a standard bullet as seen in www browsers, MS Windows 7 logon etc? Kind regards, Zdeněk Socha

5 Comments

1. Hello, I think the "No Display Character" field only accepts values up to ASCII 255. Have you tried using a "No Display Character" value of 7 - this works for me on Windows 7? Regards, Mark

Author: Mark Rennison (mark.rennison@tribalgroup.com)
  2. "7" works on my XP as well

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)
  3. Thank you so much. I haven't tried the value 7, since I was always using the ">>" button to select a character. ASCII 7 seems to be a BELL character, but it really echoes a bullet. Tested on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 and seems to work fine. Regards, Zdeněk

Author: sochaz (zdenek.socha@fullsys.cz)
  4. Hello, just a quick update... suddenly, it stopped working on Windows 8. My colleague reported, that he can see some strange characters something like []) instead of bullets. We're not aware of any change since Thursday, so this might be quite hard for us to track down. If we do not find a working solution (working on all Windows versions), we will have to to change it back to asterix. Zdeněk

Author: sochaz (zdenek.socha@fullsys.cz)
  5. Hi Zdeněk, just a guess because I'm still on the XP. Perhaps this depends on the font used we see that if we change the font, some special characters get strange: I think your [] is what you get when an "unknown" or "non-printable" character needs to be displayed. Worst case, what about the following way to get the job done: 1.) create your own Truetype Font where any character is your dot (see: http://mashable.com/2011/11/17/free-font-creation-tools/#gallery/7-tools-for-creating-your-own-fonts/50bddbb097b2f830e70000ed) 2.) assign this font similar to the "buttons" and "debug" font in the [SCREEN] section of your INI file 3.) specify this font as a widget font for your editbox OK, it demands that this TTF is installed in any client box, but it may be an alternative before you get the asterix back.

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)