Do migrated components get "fatter" ?

Author: arjen.van.vliet@uniface.com (Arjen van Vliet)

Hi Unifacers,

I am in the middle of a Uniface 7 to Uniface 9 migration at my client's site. Currently doing estimations of disk space, memory etc. for the infrastructure department of that company.

Do migrated components get "fatter" i.e. does the same frm compiled in Uniface 9 take up more kB's than it did in Uniface 7 (or 8).

Any experience?

Thanks,

Arjen

11 Comments

1. Hi,

actually the frm-file seems to be much smaller in Uniface9 than in Uniface7, the Uniface9 form is about a third of Uniface7.

Example:

Uniface7.2.06  -     Uniface9.3.02
    26 KB         -             9KB

Whole source compiled
    11,8MB  -     3,21MB

From Uniface9.3 you can also use "easy deployment" using some kind of compressed uar-file instead of all those frm-files..... Haven't tested that yet.

Regards RogerW. 

Author: rogerw (roger.wallin@abilita.fi)
  2. Without the zip option size should be about the same, with zip option much smaller.

On average one third of the original size sounds right.

Author: Theo Neeskens (tneeskens@itblockz.nl)
  3. Zip-option? Is that the default setting?
    I haven't deliberately set any zip-option and my frm-files are much smaller (1/3) in Uniface9 than in Uniface7?

Regards RogerW.

4. Hi Roger,

you are right: there is a sub-switch now if you want to have your FRMs uncompressed.

Success, Uli

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)
  5. Sub-switch? :)

I have noticed that using

$search_resources  =    Resources_First
    $RESOURCES_OUTPUT  =    g:\production\uniface9\easy\

the frm-files are approx. the same size as in Uniface7, and of cource they are compressed if you use "g:\production\uniface9\myappl.uar".
    Using the normal

*.frm  g:\production\gemini9\frm\*.frm

the frm-files are just a third of the Uniface7 size? Does anyone know the whole story?

Regards RogerW.

6. Hi Roger,

Zipping has nothing to do with UAR.

You still get frm files.

And yes, if remember correctly, zipping is default now.

Just check the compile options in the documentation.

Regards,

Theo Neeskens
    Solution Architect
    Uniface Services
    Compuware

Author: Theo Neeskens (tneeskens@itblockz.nl)
  7. Hi,

Both

$search_resources  =    Resources_First
    $RESOURCES_OUTPUT  =    g:\production\uniface9\easy\

and the more direct

*.frm  g:\production\frm\*.frm

produces frm-files, although Uniface handles the directory structure under "g:\production\uniface9\easy\" by itself, ie. putting frm-files into "g:\production\uniface9\easy\frm\" etc.
    I'm then compiling the same way and the first setting produces "nonzipped-large" files  and the other "zipped-small" frm-files. Probably Unface doesn't matter to zip in the first case as those files will probably be deployed as an uar-file?!?!

By the way, using "easy deployment" and patches (mentioned in the resources-section of the ASN-file) will be somehow troublesome as the ASN-file has to be edited, fex. wanting to allow our customers to download patches. How to solve this?

[RESOURCES]
    G:\programs\deployed\patch2.uar
    G:\programs\deployed\patch1.uar
    G:\programs\deployed\myapp.uar

Regards RogerW. 

8. We put #file usysadm:patches.asn in the 'main' asn file, and then out app rolls out the patches.asn file as you log in (if it's newer) than the current one. If you put #file \\server\sharedfolder\patches.asn It would be stored in one place for all clients. Iain

Author: Iain Sharp (i.sharp@pcisystems.co.uk)
  9. Hi,

that's an OK solution. Another solution would be that all patches of a directory would be used, just ordered by their "timestamp",  or something like that.

Arjen_V, hope you don't mind this discussion, after all it touches your initial question.

Regards RogerW.

10. Don't mind at all Roger. Discussions like this one are the interesting part of this message board !

Regards, Arjen

Author: Arjen van Vliet (arjen.van.vliet@uniface.com)
  11. Hi all,

Indeed, if you use Easy Deployment (standard deployment mode) by defining $resource_output in your asn file, Uniface compiles into uncompressed files, whereas if you use classic mode ($resource_output is not defined) Uniface compiles into compressed files since this was the default in Uniface 9.2 (and Uniface 8).

With Easy Deployment it is the intension that resources (compiled runtime objects) are packed into UAR files. During the packing the resources are compressed using standard ZIP compression (An UAR file is nothing more than a ZIP file). Compressing twice does not add anything other then more overhead (uncompress twice); the resource will not become smaller. If you going to use the [RESOURCES] section at runtime, don't put any compressed resources into UAR files. Uniface uncompresses while reading the UAR file and expects uncompressed resources inside it. If an already compressed resource is encountered Uniface will simply fail reading it. So don't mix the classic and standard deployment modes!

Gerton

Author: Gerton Leijdekker (gerton.leijdekker@uniface.com)