Uniface 9 in Mobile (via Device Emulator)

Author: dammie@seznam.cz (dammie)

Hello,

I would like to test how Uniface works in mobile, I downloaded MS mobile device emulator and following Uniface help library (chapter - Testing Mobile Applications Using the Windows CE Device Emulator). I need install Uniface on the Device Emulator. Manual says Copy the Uniface.ce2 file from the Uniface distribution to the directory used as the emulator's storage device...But I am unable to find Uniface.ce2 ... 

David

10 Comments

1. Anyone who at least tested Uniface9 in Mobile?

Author: dammie (dammie@seznam.cz)
  2. If you look in the 93 installation directory or on the root of the CD David and there you should see a directory "uniface_setup". Below that is a directory  "ce2"  and inside that is the Uniface.ce2.CAB you are looking for.  If you are using this for the first time however I recommend that you obtain the latest patch for this  "ce2p204a.cab" that you can  download from ftp://ftp.compuware.com/pub/uniface/patches/9302/ce2/  on Compuwares FTP server.

George

Author: George Mockford (palgam0@hotmail.com)
  3. Hi David,

You can find the installer of Uniface Mobile on the installation CD in the sub-directory "\uniface_setup\ce2\". There you also can find the Uniface.ce2.CAB, but I'm afraid it's not enough to copy and install the CAB file on the Windows CE emulator. Uniface Mobile also requires that the license manager DLM is installed on the Mobile device.

The recommended way to install Unfiace Mobile is to connect the Mobile Device to your Windows machine using the Windows Mobile Device Center, or when you run Windows XP or earlier, you have to use Microsoft ActiveSync. Once the Mobile Device is connected then you can run the setup.exe from "\uniface_setup\ce2\", which will install DLM and Uniface Mobile. And the final step in the setup is to transfer a valid license to the Device using Compuware LicenseSync - I believe it has to be a concurrent license that can be borrowed.

More information about this topic can also be found in the Uniface Library under the topic Deploying Mobile Applications and the related sub-topics:

And in case you have installed the version 9.3.01 of Unfiace Mobile then you can find here:

In order to install the Service Pack or Patch simply copy the CAB to the Mobile Device and then execute it on the Device.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Daniel

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)
  4. Many thanks for your responses. I try download files from ftp site. (There is really NO such directory on my CD installation - I even asked frequentant of this forum - Urlich Merkel and he confirmed that these files on his installation files not exists as well. )

What about licensing and cost. Is there any way to get some licence "for try" just for presentation to management? Second what about costs and price of license for every mobile device. Where can I find this information?

Many thanks

David 

5. Hello David,

For which Uniface release is your installation CD? And could you tell as what's the volume label of the CD)? It should be printed on the CD label or alternatively you find it in the ReadMe of the CD (probably called cd_readme.htm). The volume label looks like this "P906xxxx":

CD-ROM Contents

(see http://frontline.compuware.com/products/uf/tech/16081.aspx#Uniface_Nine)

Microsoft Windows Platforms

Release version

Release date

Volume label

11-Nov-2008

P9065211

26-Nov-2008

P9065706

3-Jun-2008

P9064704

23-Oct-2007 

P9063820

5-July-2007 

P9063508 

14-Dec-2006

P9061417

Uniface Mobile is only shipped on the Uniface Nine CD-ROMs for the releases 9.2.xx and 9.3.xx. And I've checked all CD images we have available here and the setup of Uniface Mobile is always located in "\uniface_setup\ce2\".

And please note that the mentioned CAB files on the FTP server do not include the Mobile part of DLM (license manager). So in the end you still have to install a DLM version that includes Mobile licensing - not sure if we've released a suitable installation package on the FTP server.

As for getting a trial license: please contact your local Compuware sales representative, which, in your case, should be Bettina Ben Jemaa from the Vienna office.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Daniel

6. Many thanks for information...

We obtained Uniface.ce2.cab... Now we are waiting for license...

DLM have to be installed on every mobile device? Isnt there possibility to connect to central DLM server?

Thanks for info

David

7. Hello David,

As stated in an earlier posting, Uniface Mobile is using concurrent licenses that are borrowed by the mobile device that should run Uniface. The license has to be transferred to the device using the Compuware LicenseSync utility. And during the license transfer the utility will also check if the required DLM client DLL - similar to the libdlm32.dll on a normal Windows Desktop - is present. If not then the required DLL and registry entries will be written to the device.

Simply pointing to a license server using e.g. the ASN setting $LICENSE_OPTIONS is (as far as I know) not possible.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Daniel

8. Hello,

we would like connect Mobile devices into our database.

1) Whats the best way how uniface in mobile can communicate with our database?

2) We are concerned about security of that connection. Does anyone knows if this ommunication is or can be encrypted?

Many thanks for your inputs

9. Hello David,

as for 1) AFAIK, there are two (main) options, both are trhough network path (defined in the .asn file).
    a) Using entities as usual, but in .asn the access is redirected via urouter to database.
    b) Calling services, which are redirected to be activated on server (via urouter).

Look at documentation for .asn files, section [SERVICES_EXEC] and defining network paths via TCP connector. And you can look at section "Path-to-Connector Assignments" - there are even some examples of remotly accessing services and/or databases.

Zdenek

Author: sochaz (zdenek.socha@fullsys.cz)
  10. A couple of things regarding mobile that may be known but I think that they are worth stating just-in-case.

So that this is a relatively short message I'll be brief. If you need more details please indicate which parts and I'm be happy to explain in more detail.

Licensing:

The mobile device carries an encrypted license in the mobile registry. This is placed there by the Uniface enhanced active-sync under the 'advanced setting' menu when uploading the license to the device. At the same time it copies and places the DLM dll used by Uniface to make all of this happen. So aside from following the steps in the manual that part is transparent.

Three types of licensing:

The one we use internally using a time constrained 'anyhost' key. Simply point to the  license file and upload the required features.

Second one is using a 'borrowed' key where you specify the length of time you wish to borrow the key for and then follow similar steps to upload to the device.

Third way is to request a license for each device. The active-sync utility displays a device unique ID which when passed to licensing they will deliver a custom key for that specific device. A bit like the host or MAC address locking used with a normal PC. This does the same thing but locks it to a specific mobile device.

Mobile Feature keys:
    feature                                                               Key
    Windows CE                                                  UWCE
    DB2 Everyplace                                             UDBE
    Oracle Lite                                                      UORL
    Windows Local Embedded Database     UEDB
    Microsoft MSSQL                                          UMSM
    Windows Server                                           USRVWCE  (Not required on client but mandatory on server for connections to work)
    Uniface Client                                              UCLIENT
    Client Remote Data Connector                UCLTSRVDB
    Client Remote Server Connector             UCLTSRV

Versions:

Officially we run on windows mobile 5.x and 6. Actually windows mobile 6 is really windows 5 under the hood they just changed the number for marketing purposes. Microsoft changed the memory load and management part in mobile 6.1 and 6.5. However to run on those you need to add some registry keys entries to instruct windows where in memory to load Uniface. I uploaded  the necessary entries on the linked content. Use something like the free utility mobile task manager' or Microsoft visual studio to upload.

Databases

Supported Oracle and DB2 anywhere. Although you can access these dbs remotely the main usage is by uploading to the pc descrete tables or parts of tables and using their own database syncing techniques to transfer.

You can use Uniface TCP/IP to invoke remote services, where remote is some server somewhere and  return data, usually via parameters. XML scheduled  to be release with web services support in the near future in 9.4 patch which will make that process simpler.

That patch will also introduce support for MSSQL.

Key point to be aware of is that although the tcp/ip driver can reconnect in my recent experience it is better to connect remotely via the following ordered steps:

• Open a tcp/ip connection
    • invoke remote service
    • pass and recover data via parameters
    • delete remote instance
    • close tcp/ip path

This way the connection can be re-established even if the server has to re-boot.

On the subject of tcp/ip in order for mobile tcp/ip to connect to Uniface servers on the server side, the server license needs or must have the "USRVWCE" option. Without that mobile devices cannot connect to a uniface UROUTER.

This is quite practical and quick and with an 'unstable' connection is relatively fail-safe.

So just a quick summary but hope that it helps. Let me know if any section needs more detail.

regards

George

Author: George Mockford (palgam0@hotmail.com)