Open Source Samples and Utilities?

Author: tneeskens@itblockz.nl (Theo Neeskens)

I have been making and distributing Uniface samples and utilities for a while now. Usually upload these to my www.box.net account. Then I "spam" the link to my blog, www.uniface.info, the Uniface Group on LinkedIn and the Uniface page on Facebook. This works pretty well, I am getting a nice number of pageviews and downloads.

But since making these samples and utilities is something that I do in my spare time, they are never perfect, and I cannot offer support on them.

Every now and then somebody mails me an improvement, for which I am very gratefull. But it made me think that there must be a better way. I do not want to own and maintain my own website so a public open source platform might be an interesting idea.

I am a total novice at this, but I gave it a first try on SourceForge. You can find the CompileMaster that I published last week also on SourceForge.

Any idea's on how to proceed with this are more than welcome.

4 Comments

1. T.U.R.F. http://hosted.byjones.net/turf/ still alive and kicking
    offers code examples, discussions, enhancements since a lot of years now.

I don't think it is a good idea to make examples really "open source" with all its implications for commercial use.

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)

2. T.U.R.F. http://hosted.byjones.net/turf/ still alive and kicking

offers code examples, discussions, enhancements since a lot of years now.

I don't think it is a good idea to make examples really "open source" with all its implications for commercial use.

Hi Uli,

T.U.R.F. and your own initiatives are very positive for the community.
    But I want to take it a step further.
    Platforms like SourceForge offer online version management, call tracking etc.
    And they are in common use for other development languages, so why not ride that wave?

I think I agree with you on not using an open source license for samples.

Regards,

Theo

Author: Theo Neeskens (tneeskens@itblockz.nl)
  3. Hi Theo,

please don't let your drive be stopped, any activity to make uniface more known is benefitial for all of us.

There is a big difference between your other development languages and uniface.
    But there is no way to learn "uniface, the language" outside of a uniface license
    and you do not have uniface source code for a component in a single file,

Giving a uniface sample to the public still means you need a running uniface environment
    before you can even read the code.

I discussed this with a couple of friends when I tried to bring them nearer to uniface during the 9.4.01 TRIAL, they called this the real showstopper.
    So it looks uniface is doomed to be a "license holder only" issue.

Sorceforge projects are normally complete products (like uniface itself),
    and all that call tracking etc. makes only sense if someone feels responsible for the product.
    I think a single example is too small for this environment
    and for most of the examples I know there is only one version at all.

I recommend to have a broader scope for a sourceforge project
    like "adapter for external reporting engines" or "hooks and user-exits for DSP developers".
    This can benefit from all the communication utilities available on sourceforge.

I think for the common uniface user, having a single place to look and ask is much easier to handle.
    That's why I post important frontline infos (like patches) to give them a single place support.
    and decided to do most of the dITo initiative on uniface.info as well.

But please do not stop trying to make uniface a more popular tool

Uli

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)
  4. Hello all,

If tomorrow, we can develop Uniface with Eclipse, in an environement Web, we can suppose offer a platform for the open source samples and more facilities.

Regards

Antoine Picaud

Author: apicaud (antoine.picaud@free.fr)