How to start Rapid Application Builder from cmd line for service component?

Author: dammie@seznam.cz (dammie)

Hello,

I want to start components for developement from my VCS application.

There is no problem in case of forms :

idf.exe /exe UEXTN form_name

This command starts idf with my form_name open ready to edit...

But there is problem if I use the same for services:

idf.exe /exe UEXTN service_name 

Is there any possibility how to run idf from command line that after start open service?

Thanks for your hints

David

10 Comments

1. Hi

Start a form which starts a service.

Kind regards

Author: richard.gill (richard.gill@agfa.com)
  2. Hi David,

I assume have some sourcecode for a component and want to go straight into the IDF edit for this component.
    and you want to use some command file so you are bound to the command line capabilities of the idf.exe.

the 9.4.01 documentation reads:

UEXTN

{Component}

Start the Rapid Application Builder.

iI services do not show up, it looks like a lousy implementation which cries for a call,
    if you wanna go on this frustrating quest.

Unfortunately, we can not interpose a selfwritten component because
    "idf.exe /tst my_component"
    does not support any parameters after the component name (in $1 $2 $3)

I implemented something similar in uniface 7 (using a bat-command to put the parameters in an ASN-file),
    but for version 8/9 the way to open the editor component is no longer possible.

To support to-do-lists and other workflow issues,
    I asked a couple of times to "open the idf" with functions, just in the way you can do with the shortcuts in the workbenches.
    but it looks like nobody in CPWR (not even the big guys) really care about the IDF users, usability etc.

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)
  3. You CAN interpose a self written component and pass parameter.
    Use /exe UCUST for that.
    It starts a Form that you have written yourself that must be called IDFCUST.
    The first parameter IDFCUST receives is always "UCUST", the next parameters are the ones you specified on the command line.

From the Ulibrary:
    /exe UCUST {{Param1} {Param2} {Param3} {Param4}}
    Start the customized form IDFCUST in order to activate specific functionality. Up to four parameters can be applied depending on how the form is to be used, for example: Application Model name, file name and path could be given. However, the request UCUST is passed as the first parameter. The following parameters are converted to uppercase and are passed as parameters 2 through 5 respectively.

Author: Theo Neeskens (tneeskens@itblockz.nl)
  4. ok, one can call a IDFCUST component, Theo; but this is not completely interposing a self-written component.

Unfortunately, the help file is not too verbose on that IDFCUST signature etc. at all; perhaps you know some better documentation to share with us.

UCUST

{{Param1} {Param2} {Param3} {Param4}}

Start the customized form IDFCUST in order to activate specific functionality. Up to four parameters can be applied depending on how the form is to be used, for example: Application Model name, file name and path could be given. However, the request UCUST is passed as the first parameter. The following parameters are converted to uppercase and are passed as parameters 2 through 5 respectively.

And the more important issue:

HOW can one open a IDF editor page for a given component(name) or other objects like procs/messages/menus/Entities,....
    Expected functionality is the same as when you double-click on a shortcut (without creating the shortcut at first).

Would help customers a lot if this is possible, so if you know how we can do this (in V8 and V9): please tell us.

TIA, Uli

5. Hi

I tried UCUST with a self written IDFCUST. As said Ulrich, the documentation is too short. For example, the IDFCUST should not have any parameters for its Execute trigger. The parameters are transfered through $1 to $5. Here a sample Execute trigger :

variables
        string  vMsg
    endvariables

vMsg = $1
        if ($2 != "") vMsg = "%%vMsg%%^%%$2"
        if ($3 != "") vMsg = "%%vMsg%%^%%$3"
        if ($4 != "") vMsg = "%%vMsg%%^%%$4"
        if ($5 != "") vMsg = "%%vMsg%%^%%$5"
        message/info vMsg
        edit

end

Ok for that :) Now that's not what the guy wants (I was wrong in my first post too). The UEXTN permits to start the component editor, but only for forms :-(

What we miss is a documentation on IDF main forms, so how to activate (or run as I suppose) the different editors (the ones declared in the /exe argument). This way, we could implement our own frontend, which would reuse the existing editors (thus giving us the possibility to create a customized IDF without too much resources).

Kind regards,
    Richard

Author: richard.gill (richard.gill@agfa.com)
  6. Hello,

The /exe command line switch is from (at least) version 6 and this particular interface (including the documentation) has not really changed since then - this also explains why services are not "recognized", since that particular component type did not exist yet (as ESV, SSV, RPT, and USP/DSP). So if anyone still has a copy of the Uniface 6 documentation lying around - I currently have no access to one - then he could check if the description was more detailed in the past.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Daniel

P.S. The term "Rapid Application Builder" should be a dead giveaway for the more "seasoned" Uniface developers among us that the /exe interface is “ancient”, because since version 7 (if I remember it correctly) the term “Component Editor” is used.

*** Usual disclaimer ***

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)
  7. Hi Daniel,

it's not about documentation, but functionality:

maybe it was a remnant of U6 and forgotten afterwards.

But still there is only this way to "jump" from the commandline straight into the editor for a given "component".
    I think it is the responsibility of CPWR to enhance this automatically whenever new component types are introduced.

The "Global Action" allows going to the editor by just typing the component name.

We need the same functionality from outside (cmdline) as well as a function inside the idf ("goedit" in the $ude??)

======== UnifAc6 documentation ==============

Execute a form of the UNIFACE Six development environment. 

Use
    UNIFACE Six development environment application. 

Synopsis
    /exe request \{parameters\} 

Description
    Run the requested form from the UNIFACE Six development environment. The available requests with the required parameters are shown in table 4-5. Currently, the equivalent pre-V6 requests are also recognized. 

The relevant system and user preferences are loaded and user permissions are set before the appropriate form is loaded. 

request    Pre-V6    Parameters            Request description
            request     

UMAIN    IDFSYS                        Start the development environment.
        IDFFORM         
    UENTC    IDFNVIEW    \{model \{entity \}\}         Start the Define Entity form.
        IDFNGRP         
    UFLDC    IDFNKFLD    \{model \{entity \{field \}\}\} Start the Define Field form.
        IDFNFLD     
    UEINT    IDFGIDEF     \{entity_interface_template \}     Start the Define Entity Interface Template
                form. 
    UINTT    IDFFIDEF     \{field_interface_template \}     Start the Define Field Interface Template
                form.

USYNT    IDFFYDEF    \{field_syntax_template )     Start the Define Field Syntax Template form. 
    ULAYT    IDFFLDEF     \{field_layout_template \}    Start the Define Field Layout Template form. 
    UFLDT    IDFNDOM        \{IGNORED field_template \}    Start the Define Field Template form. 
    UPROC    IDFPROCS    \{module \{library \}\}     Start the Define Global Proc form. 
    UMESG    IDFTEXT     \{msg_id \{library \{language \}\}\}     Start the Define Message form. 

UEXTN    IDFFP        \{form \}             Start the Rapid Application Builder. 
    UENTE    IDFLGRP     \{form \{model \{entity\}\}\}    Start the Define Form Entity form. 
    UFLDE    IDFLFLD        \{form \{model \{entity \{field\}\}\}\} Start the Define Form Field form. 
    PIPE    PIPE        input_pipe output_pipe
                 UNIX and OpenVMS only: Start UNIFACE in `pipe`     mode. 
    MAIL    MAIL         input_mailbox output_mailbox
                OpenVMS only: Start UNIFACE in `mail` mode. 

================================================================

Author: istiller (i2stiller@gmx.de)
  9. the 9.4.01 documentation reads:

UEXTN

{Component}

Start the Rapid Application Builder.

iI services do not show up, it looks like a lousy implementation which cries for a call,
    if you wanna go on this frustrating quest.

Hello Uli,

do you know who is best to be adressed with this issue (e-mail, phone number...)

Thanks

David

Author: dammie (dammie@seznam.cz)
  10. Hi David,

just the ordinary way for all bugs and problems:

- Open your frontline account on http://frontline.compuware.com/

- select "Uniface" for Product Support

- pick "Report and Track Cases" from the grey menu line

- "open new case"

and wait ...

Uli