Hi,

I am looking for libraries to enhance the formatting of Uniface script/code in editors other than Uniface's own IDE. Think of commonly used editors like Notepad++, Sublime TXT or Atom. But especially when presenting code on an HTML page. Javascript libraries such as PrismJS are very popular for this purpose. Uniface is missing from the whole list of supported sources.

Has anyone created these files yet? Would you like to share them? Or create them?

I had already made something for Notepad++ once, but had to look it up. Now I've put it online on Gitlab. It's downloadable. Here : https://gitlab.com/Unividuals/uniface/development/external/notepadplusplus-udl

A little more background info:

If you see pieces of software code on a website, it will improve readability if it has a nice layout. Preferably a layout that belongs to that language or platform.
Whether it is HTML, css, javascript, C, etc. Readability is better with the right colours.

Uniface also has a recognisable layout. Functions, statements, strings and comments have a certain colour. And preferably we also see the code indented where necessary.

As with most other editors, in Uniface the layout is determined in the presentation layer and is not included when copying the content. So if you want to show Uniface script on a web page, the layout will not be included.
One option is to include a screenshot as an image. Looks good, but is not as handy if you want to copy the content.

That is why I would very much like to create a whole series of libraries. Who wants to help?

regards, Peter

CommentAdd your comment...

4 answers

Hi Peter,

I've found something in my log!

The .INI section related to Proc Editor is [PROCBOX].
      If you search for "procbox" into current U10 online documentation you can find it, so...it is still available.
      It is available the same set of customizations like in U9.7.

It is possible to customize colors for: texts, strings, comments, registers, keywords, declarations, html, html attribs, XHTML tags and tabsize.

LINKto: https://u.uniface.info/docs/1000/uniface/configuration/reference/iniSettings/ini_fileSections/_procbox.htm?Highlight=procbox

Let's give it a try!

Best Regards,
      Gianni

G, I admire your search capabilities. It is in the documentation. Did you try it? I did, but unfortunately I did not notice any of the changes I've made. 

1. Daniel Iseli

I'm afraid this will only work with the ProcScript Editor for Menus:

> Uniface IDE > Uniface IDE Editors > More Editors > Library > Define Menu > ProcScript Editor

Hi Gianni,

As far as I know this is not possible in U10.

Although they use the Scintilla editor. I believe that this is the same editor that is being used in Notepad++. Funny, just look in the 'Software based on Scintilla' section on the Wikipedia page of Scintilla, Uniface is mentioned here. 

I haven't looked at the features of this editor, Scintilla. But maybe it's just as configurable as Notepad++, that is based upon the same editor. Unfortunately I don't know if, how and where. (smile)

When this is important to you, please submit a wish.

Regards, Peter

1. Iain Sharp

We haven't been able to add wishes since July. The option is missing. I've a post on here pointing it out, and I can't see a way of 'bumping' it to the top. 

Iain

2. Peter Lammersma

Hi Iain,

Hmm. It's in the menu, but when I select it, I get an error with the option to view it in Jira. Once there I need to login again. But after that I see the option to add something new. But it does not say that it is a new Wish....

3. Iain Sharp

No, it adds it to the wrong 'collection' I think it puts it in internal support calls. Sometimes, the list isn't broken, but theres no add function. All in all, can't add wishes..... 

4. Peter Lammersma

Hi Iain,

Today I noticed that the wish functionality is up and running again!

Regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

about "Readability is better with the right colours." and "preferably we also see the code indented where necessary":

I remember colors and indentation in the U9 trigger editor into UDE were customizable; I made it just once but right now I am not able to find any reference about it into last U9 docu.

Do you know if this functionality is still there for U10?

Regards,
        Gianni