UUHELP usage : with original items
Author: email@example.com (richard.gill)
I tested the use of the UUHELP internal IDF menu for the 'access from everywhere' feature, quite good. The only problem is that the original help items are lost.
I investigated a bit to recreate the original menu, but with a cascade Additional menu. This is quiet simple, but with some tricks :
- The first item 'Help', can be a spawn which starts hh.exe with the ulibrary.chm file : spawn $concat("hh ", $item("FULLPATH", $fileproperties("ulibrary.chm", "FULLPATH")))
The $fileproperties function permits to get the asn redirection.
- The second item 'Keyboard Help...', is even easier : macro "^KEY_HELP"
- Next the separator ... you need help for that? :)
- Yeh, now the web links. To activate them with the default browser, we need to launch the application associated with urls.
One can spawn 'start' command, but for this, the command interpreter is used : spawn "cmd /c start %%"<the url>%%"" : a command window is quickly shown and hidden, not user friendly
A better solution is to use the ShellExecute from the Windows API, but for this, we need to define a signature. It's not difficult, but it introduces a dependency over a signature.
- The Uniface about box seems to be a Uniface Form, but I don't know which, so this's the only item I couldn't reproduce
For all this to work, as usual, One has three method (with Uniface 9, 2 with previous versions) to enable the new home made help menu (once itself and the Windows API signature are compiled):
- Use the [RESOURCES] assignment. For help on using it, see the Uniface Library
- Use $search_descriptor dbms_first and $search_object dbms_first assignments
- Update the dol and the urr file if you prefer to use static files
Note: related link removed because of a new, improved one, in the following posts.