Uniface 9.5.01: Patch E108 now available

Author: daniel.iseli@uniface.com (diseli)

The Uniface 9.5.01 patch E108 is now available.

The patch includes the following new features:

• A new version of the MSS connector is available. MSS U5.0 supports Microsoft SQL Server 2012 and the MAX specifier for varchar, nvarchar and varbinary storage formats.

• Support Unicode in the Sybase u4.1 driver

• Memory Mapping for DOL/URR/UAR. Uniface now maps the central directory (table of contents) of ZIP files (including DOL and URR files) into memory. This improves the performance when applications access the contents of these files.

You can use assignment setting $MEMORY ZIP=OFF to disable this functionality, or $MEMORY ZIP=ALL to read the complete file into memory.

Memory mapping has limitations on OpenVMS and iSeries.

The list of included bug fixes will be made available on Frontline shortly.

Due to some unforeseen changes in the code we had to postpone the release of patch E108 by a week. Our apologies for the inconvenience that this delay may have caused.

With Kind Regards,
Compuware Uniface Customer Support

9 Comments

1. Thanks, Daniel, for this info. Looks like the memory mapping will boost startup of uniface applications.

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)
  2. Hi

I did download the patch E108, but couldn't find any hint of the MS-SQL driver U5.0.
    Okay, a UMSS50.DLL is present, but that the only clue, that there is a U5.0 driver.

Ingo

Author: istiller (i2stiller@gmx.de)
  3. Hello Ingo,

The Uniface Library 9.5.01 has now been updated for E108. See updated documentation on Frontline. For details on the changes, see Uniface 9.5 Documentation Updates for patches.

And the platform and functionality matrixes for version 9.5 also has been updated.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Daniel

*** Usual disclaimer ***

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)
  4. Hello,

I have the patch E108 for some time now. Today, I have downloaded patch e109. But suddenly, I noticed that there is another version of E108 available on FTP.

These patches are different and have different release dates. Yet, both seems to be e108, there is no e108A for example (as we see it with patch e105a). My e108 is dated "July 20, 2012" and the new e108 is dated "August 10, 2012".

Is it safe to use any of these versions? I haven't noticed any warning or any info about withdrawing e108. :(

Regards,
    Zden?k

Author: sochaz (zdenek.socha@fullsys.cz)
  5. ... perhaps they have added the documentation update ulibrary.chm to the package

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)
  6. Hello Zdenek,

As far as I can see it only the readme of the patch E108 has been changed. The rest of the patch is the same - even though the creation time-stamp of the usys.urr and usys.dol are different, the content is the same.

It therefore should not matter if you use the E108 from July 20 or the one from August 10. Both packages include the same bug fixes - even though the description of 29667 has been removed and the one for 29754 has been added to the readme. Or have you noticed that something is working differently?

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
    Daniel

*** Usual disclaimer ***

7. Hello Daniel,

yes, readme has changed a bit (I have found what you mentioned, and a few more changed, for example bug 29639). So I have unpack both of them and tried to compare files, and only e108w32.txt, usys.dol and usys.urr are different. As for usys.dol and usys.urr, they are different, but I didn't "unpack" them, so maybe content is the same? Not sure. I haven't installed the "new" e108, and the "old" e108 works fine for us, so I can't tell if they work differently (and since most of the files are the same, they should work the same).

I was just curious, about this "hidden" update of patch on the FTP, since I was getting ready to deploy e108 to our customers.

Kind regards,
    Zdenek

PS: to Uli, unfortunatelly the ulibrary.chm is never included in a patch, you have to update it manually (don't ask me why :-))

8. FYI: the content of the usys.dol and usys.urr from both E108 packages are identical - so no worries.

And if a patch is re-released with some code changes then this certainly will be communicated to the users.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
    Daniel

*** Usual disclaimer ***

9. Hello Daniel,

thank you very much for all the information, it is indeed helpful and very appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Zden?k Socha