SQL Server 2016

Author: tcolvin@smythretail.com (Tim Colvin)

We are starting to look into upgrading to SQL Server 2016 and I had a couple of questions. I see there is an updated MSS driver in Uniface.  I see two, actually, a 5.0 and a 5.1 version.  What are the specific differences between the two?  I couldnt seem to find this in the help documentation anywhere I dont see any specific scripting for the 5.0 drivers in Uniface 9.7.03 (I havent looked in 9.7.04 yet).  Will the repository need to be recreated or migrated?   Any other information regarding migrating to this version of SQL Server would be helpful.

4 Comments

1. There is general documentation for the Microsoft SQL Server database connector from Uniface in the Uniface library: Environment Considerations for Microsoft SQL Server The MSS connector makes use of ODBC to connect to Microsoft SQL Server, and requires the correct the ODBC Driver for SQL Server or the SQL Server Native Client version to be installed on the client machine. So the new U5.1 driver should be used with the ODBC driver from SQL Server 2016. Information from Microsoft: System Requirements, Installation, and Driver Files https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/connect/odbc/windows/system-requirements-installation-and-driver-files and Support Policies for SQL Server Native Client (SNAC) like the Supported operating systems: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/native-client/applications/support-policies-for-sql-server-native-client
    For the Uniface U5.1 driver there are no changes in procedures or used SQL Server Storage formats.

Author: PBeugel (peter.beugel@uniface.com)
  2. Hi, I know it's a side question: we've played lately with latest MSS versions to solve some concurrency issues (select blocking updates and updates blocking select); we improved concurrency updating our USYS$MSS_PARAMS with iso=ss accepting as a side effect a greater load on TempDB, because of VersionStore. I would like to ask/know if anyone else has already taken same approach. Thanks for any answer. Regards, Gianni

Author: gianni (gianni.sandigliano@unifacesolutions.com)
  3. Hi Gianni, Had to look what you're doing here. So, apparently you're tweaking your lock isolation. Unfortunately, I don't have experience with that approach. Best regards, Arjen

Author: Arjen van Vliet (arjen.van.vliet@uniface.com)