MSS 2017 and Linux

Author: i.sharp@pcisystems.co.uk (Iain Sharp)

As MSSQL are now releasing a Linux version, are there any plans to provide a driver for Linux server components to use it?  Also, would anyone with experience of MySQL in an production environment like to chip in as to whether it is fit for purpose yet?  Regards,  Iain

3 Comments

1. Hi Iain, AFAIK Uniface 9.7.05/10.3.01 will introduce support for MSS 2017 on Linux (with the MSS U5.2 connector), specifically for the cloud platforms Red Hat, SUSE and CentOS. Hope this helps. Regards, Daniel

Author: diseli (daniel.iseli@uniface.com)
  2. Is cloud red-hat different from 'normal' red-hat?  We are looking at cutting down the cost of the server operating system and database. 

Author: Iain Sharp (i.sharp@pcisystems.co.uk)
  3. Iain Sharp said Is cloud red-hat different from 'normal' red-hat?  We are looking at cutting down the cost of the server operating system and database.   

Currently we test both platforms, but with exactly the same product. We do not have a separate build of Uniface for the cloud vs on premise. Note this is based on Uniface 10.2 and Uniface 9.7.04 and upwards, and it took work in the product and our infrastructure to get to this point.  On a side note, if you are looking at cutting costs of the server OS and database, have you considered PostgreSQL as the database? I've heard positive things about it from both customers and our developers. Not a recommendation because all apps are different, but worth considering. 

Author: Adrian Gosbell (adrian.gosbell@synapse-i.jp)