Uniface 8.2.03 and Windows 2008

Author: rmeaille@medinfo.fr (foster06)

Hi,

Is anybody know if I can use Uniface 8.2.03 on Windows 2008 without problem ?

Is anybody has already installed it ?

Thanks for your answers.

Robert

5 Comments

1. Hi Everyone,

in addition to the question above...

One of our customer wants to move his UNIFACE 8403 Application to a W2k8 64 Bit Server, with Oracle 4.4 Connector.

Does anybody have some Idea, if this should work?

Best regards

THOMAS

Author: Thomas.Young (thomas.young@young-consulting.de)
  2. Hmmm,

I do not know if it should work on 64 Bit W2K8 but I am successfully running 8403 on 32 Bit W2K3 Servers using Oracle 6.2 Connector.

I must say it was hard making it work but it was worth investing the time. Measurements firgured out that I could host up to about 280 Userver processes per system in comparison to 150 on WXP!

Regards

Thomas

Author: Marvel (thomas.hucke@spb.de)
  3. Hello Thomas,

your wrote, that you have got to work it. What were the problems?

Do you have to run in compatibillity mode?

Do you have to change some dlls (third-party dlls or uniface-dlls)?

Are the problems because, you are running the userver on w2k8? We want to run fat clients, so only uniface runtime.

We want to use the UORA 4.4 driver, because of Oracle 9i? Do you have problems with the oracle client?

Every hint is welcome.

Kind regards

Thomas

4. Do you have to run in compatibillity mode?
    Nope - I installed the service just using the native commandline switches of the urouter.exe:
    e.g. D:\Programme\Uniface\8403D304\bin\urouter /inst="Urouter Production" /dir=D:\Programme\Uniface\8403D304\ /asn=D:\Programme\Uniface\8403D304\\asn\urouter.asn tcp:+13000
    Due to a bug up to version 8403D305 i recommend using default port 13000 for urouter

Do you have to change some dlls (third-party dlls or uniface-dlls)?
    No changes at all

Are the problems because, you are running the userver on w2k8? We want to run fat clients, so only uniface runtime.
    Hmm - to be honest: that doens´t make much sense for me. You are going to use a server just for an end-user app?
    Do you plan to use terminal services?
    Anyway I do not expect any issues or differences in comparison to WXP.

We want to use the UORA 4.4 driver, because of Oracle 9i? Do you have problems with the oracle client?
    Nevertheless from my perspective you should think about using Oracle 10 or 11 client. You keep your clients up to date and the client software is downward compatible. If you still want to use v9 client I either do not expect any isse. In the past I got also v8i client runnig with uniface servers.

Every hint is welcome.

a. Modification of Registy (important ist the "SharedSection"-Config) maximizes the number of running userver processes:
    [HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems]Windows
    %SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,3072,128 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3 ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16

b. Set OS permissions for service account:
        - Log on as a service
        - Log on as batch
        -"Local Administrator"

c. Create local group "UNIFACE Server Users"
    That is important regardless if there are any members in this group UAS will not work properly if this goup doe´s not exist

Hoping it helps

Thomas

Author: Marvel (thomas.hucke@spb.de)
  5. Hi Thomas,

thanks for your hints.

I think we will try this.

Yes we want to use the w2k8 machine for remote-destops, thats why we run the fat client and not the userver.

Kind regards

THOMAS