Uniface 7.2.06-Superserver on a Windows2003-Server

Author: jens.makait@dataport.de (jmakait)

Unfortunately I need to migrate a very Old Uniface-7.2.06-application from an old Windows2000-Server to a (rather old) Windows2003-Server. And that old Uniface-version isn't released for Windows2003. The installation of the Superserver-service was OK: C:\Programme\compuware\ua7206\bin\ptcpwnt.exe /ins /lis=12100 But when I tried to start the superserver-service I got the message: D:\test>net start "UNIFACE TCP SuperServer" UNIFACE TCP SuperServer wird gestartet. UNIFACE TCP SuperServer konnte nicht gestartet werden. Ein Systemfehler ist aufgetreten. Systemfehler 1505 aufgetreten. Have you ever installed the Uniface-7.2.06-Superserver on Windows2003? Did you have any Problems then? And most important: What did you do to solve problems like mine? The Compuware-Support couldn't help. Thanx for any advice and perhaps even infos about "It does not work!" Jens PS: Things I tried: - ptcpwnt.exe running in Windows2000-compatibility mode -> Error 1505 - ptcpwnt.exe running under System account, under Administrator account, even with the addition right 'log on as a batch job' -> Error 1505 - running under Administrator account in /dbg-mode -> it works!!! But this doesn't really solve my problem.

4 Comments

1. Hi Jens, Have you investigated what the error 1505 is about? And can you run the server with some logfile and /pri= switch to collect infos?

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)
  2. Thanks for your reaction.

ulrich-merkel said Have you investigated what the error 1505 is about?

Error 1505 means: "Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system" Therefore I also tried to run the superserver under another User-Account with admin-rights, and I firstly made a normal logon to force Windows to generate and display the profile. But no success --> 1505
    I also gave the right "log on as a batch job"

ulrich-merkel said And can you run the server with some logfile and /pri= switch to collect infos?

AFAIK /pri will only work with ASV.EXE and PSV.EXE and UNIFACE.EXE. But can this switch work with PTCPWNT.EXE, thee superserver-executable, which produces my problems? Jens

Author: jmakait (jens.makait@dataport.de)
  3. Hi Jens, I just found a 7.2.06 cfg.pdf and msw.pdf and perhaps there are some hints: The superserver just starts the ASV.EXE and PSV.EXE, so I assume the real problem lies in these executales. But I have only XP e3xperiences, so perhaps some other member of uniface.info has mastered the Windows Server2003 already and can help you with his solutions. CFG.PDF: SuperServer process Some network protocols (for example, Named Pipes under Windows NT) do not allow a client process to start a process on the servermachine. The SuperServer was developed to provide support for those environments. A SuperServer process runs constantly on the server machine. A UNIFACE client requests the SuperServer to start a PolyServer process when necessary. The SuperServer’s only purpose is to start a PolyServer process and pass the communication ID (for example, the name or number of the ‘pipe’) toUNIFACE. After doing this, the SuperServer goes to an idle state until the next request comes from a UNIFACE client. The MSW.PDF says: 2.5 Installing UNIFACE servers UNIFACE servers enable you to partition and deploy UNIFACE applications and data over a client/server network. They need to be installed on the server, rather than on the client. The only Windows platforms on which they can be installed is Microsoft Windows NT and Windows 2000. If your SEK includes a license for a UNIFACE server, it is automatically installed when you choose the default setup type. On Microsoft Windows NT and Windows 2000, UNIFACE servers must be started by a SuperServer. Two versions of the SuperServer are provided: one for TCP/IP and one for Named Pipes. The TCP/IP version of the SuperServer is automatically installed as an NT service. After installing a UNIFACE server, you need to configure it by editing assignment and initialization files. For more information, see Configuring on Microsoft Windows platforms.

4. perheps this may give you some hint (I googled uniface polyserver): http://www.march-hare.com/puuu/doc/howto_asv_on_nt.html