Oracle error ORA-01041: internal error. hostdef extension doesn't exist

Author: mail@gandg.it (TheAleph)

Hi U-freaks. I migrate the db Oracle 9.2 from Win2000Srv 32 bit to a new server on Win2008Srv 64 bit The connection with SQL and Toad is ok, not the same when I try to access using Uniface 7.2.06 runtime ( ora 8.0.5 client) the reported error is: ORA-01041: internal error. hostdef extension doesn't exist Any solution ? thanks

5 Comments

1. Hi Roberto, for me, it looks like you had some definitions in the oracle area which are not transfered to your new server. I just googled a bit on "ORA-01041" and found a lot of descriptions there. Perhaps you can check if some meets your scenario.

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)
  2. Hi Ulrich, thanks for your answer. In my opinion the Oracle message seems to be a 'generic error' returned by Uniface; take a look the uniface message: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I/O function: R, mode: 0, on driver: ORA ORA-01041: internal error. hostdef extension doesn't exist ORACLE Driver Error [-22]: Rollback failed. I/O function: A, mode: 0, on driver: ORA ORA-01041: internal error. hostdef extension doesn't exist ORACLE Driver Error [-18]: Logof from ORACLE failed. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- So, any situation I found in the web is not the solution for Uniface, but for Oracle... anyway TOAD and SQL are ok for the connection........this is the real problem. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- this is the connection with SQL Plus ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- SQL*Plus: Release 8.0.5.0.0 - Production on Thu Feb 14 19:5:29 2013 (c) Copyright 1998 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. Use of Oracle SQL feature not in SQL92 Entry Level. Connected to: Oracle9i Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production JServer Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production SQL> select count(*) from azi001;

Author: TheAleph (mail@gandg.it)
  3. Hi Roberto, I think the best is to tell this your local CPWR contact. I am sure their Professional Service team will solve this problem for you.

Author: ulrich-merkel (ulrichmerkel@web.de)
  4. Hi Roberto, Did you finally managed to use the combination of Uniface 7.2.06 on Win Server 2008R2 and Oracle 9 database ? And if yes can you provide me some hints and tips such as which oracle client you used and which Uniface Ora9xxx.dll you used. Any information is very welcome Laugh

Author: jurgens (jurgen.stumpe@sapagroup.com)
  5. Hi Roberto, I have an important customer still on Uniface 7.2.06.z049 (latest U7) with Oracle client version 9. The only difference is that at my customer the DB server is on Unix 64bit while yours is on Windows 64bit...anyway remember: Uniface is interfacing with client part of Oracle. The informations coming from your SQL*Plus connection mention 9.2.0.1.0; I suggestion I can give you based on my direct experience is: upgrading your Oracle installation can solve your problem. As minimum to Oracle client 9.2.0.4, possibly to latest Oracle 9.2, if I remember correctly it should be the 9.2.0.8 (it was on Windows when I checked it last time). I was in the same exact position like you are: SQL*Plus working, TOAD working while Uniface not...then I started to analyze our issues and started to apply the sequence of Oracle patches...everything started to work correctly with 9.2.0.4 but in a later stage we focused moving to 9.2.0.8 could solve other issues we found. In your shoes I would probably decide to upgrade either the client AND the server to latest Oracle 9.2 release because Oracle 9, and Oracle 9.2 specifically, is definitively not the more stable Oracle version in the field in all possible combination between Oclient and Oserver. I remember an Oracle document suggesting to large customer to stay on Oracle 8 then move to 10 passing over Oracle 9. My 2 cents... Best Regards, Gianni

Author: gianni (gianni.sandigliano@unifacesolutions.com)