Migrating to Uniface 10 .2 or Uniface 10.3
Author: email@example.com (Adrian Gosbell)
From a few recent discussions with customers, some guidelines on migrating to Uniface 10:
Uniface 10.2, delivered in Sept 2016, enables customers to migrate their applications from Uniface 9.6 or Uniface 9.7 to Uniface 10.
- There is a supported migration path.
- All application features, deployment architectures and so forth are in the Uniface 10 runtime.
- All planned Uniface 10 currency is available.
Customers should note a few points about migrating to Uniface 10.2.
- The Uniface 10 repository is not finalised, it is planned to be completed and delivered in Uniface 10.3, when the workspace support functionality (key version control functionality), and all the relevant editors have been completed.
- Migrating to Uniface 10.3 from Uniface 9.6 and Uniface 9.7 will be supported.
- Migrating from Uniface 10.2 to Uniface 10.3 will be supported, but because of the repository changes, customers will need to take some migration steps. (export-import-compile).
- The utilities to convert Uniface 9 triggers to the code container functionality will be included in the F106 patch.
This utility will transfer code from Uniface 9 to Uniface 10.
- It will continue to be upgraded and tweaked as we gather feedback from customers applications.
- It will not have the capability to rearrange code within Uniface 10.2 patch/maintenance versions.
- Consider, ‘once the code has been moved to containers, then it is done’.
- If there is the need to repeat the exercise, for example there are use cases which are not yet automated and could be. The exercise will need to be repeated starting from Uniface 9.
- The code utility should be included in the next patch for Uniface 10.2.
- Based on our test migrations, customer feedback, what we know from best practices guidelines, Partners frameworks and utilities, etc, etc, we believe we have most of the use cases. But we do anticipate more will be uncovered.
· This release will have the finalised repository.
· We aim to have Uniface 10.3 available in first half of 2016, firmer dates will be communicated when known.
Please work with us when you are migrating your applications to Uniface 10, even as a test. Contact us through support or your account manager, we would be interested to take a copy of your Uniface 9.6/9.7 export and do a test import and compilation into Uniface 10 and give feedback.